Ghost Calibration

I have been helping a friend calibrate his new ghost. He is a long time MK user, but this is his first TM with spotlock. We have performed both the bow mount offset and heading sensor calibrations. We are not completely convinced the heading sensor calibration is correct as the TM wanders and "overcorrects" quite a bit when spotlocked. A concern we have is when going thru the calibration steps, the instructions state we should be hearing different sounds in addition to seeing lights flash, when entering the calibration mode as well as various sounds to let us know if the heading sensor calibration sensor was successful. We have yet to hear any sounds, but the lights do flash. I suggested he phone Lowrance and speak to support, which he did a couple days later. According to my friend, the support person told him to not worry about not hearing any sounds as that was not important and furthermore that he should simply keep going thru the calibration steps as sometimes it takes multiple tries to get it calibrated. When other users on this board have calibrated, have you experienced anything like this?

2. Member
    Initially Lowrance had many issues with the anchor lock and was fixed with their software update. Make certain your updated. As far as the hearing any sounds, most can't, so most really do not know if it is calibrated until it is working correctly. When it does, it works great.

3. Member
    I just calibrated mine on Saturday. Had to go through the steps a couple times each to get it right. I did have the beeps and flashing lights on mine.

4. Member
    I can't hear the beeps but my girlfriend can. Lots of reports of men not being able to hear the beeps.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrub View Post
    I can't hear the beeps but my girlfriend can. Lots of reports of men not being able to hear the beeps.
    My wife can hear when I open a can of beer when I'm in the garage. They can hear everything.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    My wife can hear when I open a can of beer when I'm in the garage. They can hear everything.
    Yep, she has Mommy ears that hear everything. I have a typical case of male selective hearing.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

7. Member
    i did not calibrate mine when I installed it and it works great.

8. Member
    I did calibrate mine a couple days ago and it's working well but the heading indicator was slightly offset from the nosecone. I also could not hear the beeps. Damn old age....

I did have an issue with the bow offset calibration as the directions on how to do it were not very good but I did see a video from Lowrance that did a much better job of explaining it. The issue I had was putting the nosecone in the correct position. The video explained that you set the indicator facing forward with the pedal and then WITH THE POWER OFF (this part was left out in the directions) move the nosecone to align with the bow pointing forward. Then power on the unit and do the bow offset calibration. I will redo mine after the monsoon rains have quit.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

9. Member
    The beeps come from the head of the Ghost; if you put your ear next to it (with the outboard off) you will likely hear them. Doesn't work well on the water unless you have a second person right at the head of the Ghost.

Also, be sure your TMC-1 is not near any other magnetic metal (magnetic screws, tools, trolling motor, steel mounts, fishing reels, etc.). It will cause the compass to lose it's accuracy and cause it to hunt.
    ciao,
    Marc