Thread: Wreck on Rodman

Wreck on Rodman

There was a pretty serious wreck Saturday morning on Rodman that very luckily could have been MUCH worse. The driver of one boat spent the night in ICU with 11 fractures and his passenger was released the same day. The occupants of the other boat were unharmed.
    We are not going to get on here an assign blame to any one but just to say this: ALLWAYS be aware of your surroundings! Boats don't have rear view mirrors so you have to look back to see if you are being over taken. Especially before stopping or turning. If you're passing someone assume they don't know you're there. Pass with caution and give as much room as you can. If you're in a creek or river try to pass on the outside unless both drivers know where you are. You should always know where all the other boat in front of you AND behind you are.
    This wreck was Triton on Triton so excessive speed was not a factor. As a passenger in a boat you absolutely need to be helping the driver with the location of other boats.
    Two feet to the right and we'd be discussing at least one fatality, so thank the Lord that didn't happen.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

2. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Sounds like one boat crawled up the driver's side of the other after being cut off. I always look over my shoulder(s). There is some healing to be done after 11 fractures. Glad they pulled through.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

3. Member
    The lead boat has the right of way. The boat doing the passing has to be cautious and yield. Looking behind you at 70+ mph is a bad idea, especially on a lake like Rodman. Concentrate on driving and your sides.

Most do not know the rules. The lead boat having the right of way is only partially correct. The overtaking boat is supposed to blow a horn to signal they are overtaking on the port or starboard side.

https://www.boaterexam.com/navigatio...vertaking.aspx

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Most do not know the rules. The lead boat having the right of way is only partially correct. The overtaking boat is supposed to blow a horn to signal they are overtaking on the port or starboard side.

https://www.boaterexam.com/navigatio...vertaking.aspx
    ^^^ This X2!!! ^^^
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

Thanks for sharing Mark. Very scary, I heard there was also a Jet Ski collision and Air boat incident on George over the weekend.

Be careful out there!
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

7. Member
    Very Scary and even more dangerous when you think about the lack of response resources down that way. Love Rodman but always cautious when i go there.
    2016 Z521C Yamaha 250 SHO

Where in rodman?

9. Member
    Barge Canal east out of Kenwood, about at the gas line. Boat 10 turned right, into the path of boat #11. As tournament director ( and at this pointFWC) all parties have equal share in the responsibility. It was an accident that thankfully everyone will recover from.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

10. Member
    While boat 10 could have maneuvered after confirming their position relative to others, it is the responsibility of the trailing vessel to give right of way. I’d add that at the speeds they were likely traveling, it’s not particularly safe to turn around and look both ways...one covers a LOT of feet in distance each second when traveling 60+ mph
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

11. Member
    I pray for a speedy recovery!!!! I have fished two unofficial local openand few club in the past few years (not a lot). I am no expert but it was the wild west at launch. Maybe I have lost my competitive edge but the prize payouts are not worth the risk I have witnessed.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    The lead boat has the right of way. The boat doing the passing has to be cautious and yield. Looking behind you at 70+ mph is a bad idea, especially on a lake like Rodman. Concentrate on driving and your sides.

No dispute on right of way.

Some suggestions from situations I've had on the River/Rodman - all have occurred running from blast off (and usually low light):

1. If you hit a fog bank, get tight to the shore and put your ears on - shutting down cold will get you run over.
    2. Run consistent straight and smooth lines. Don't hang a hard 90 when you have an epiphany.
    3. If you are running the marked channel, be prepared to be overtaken by boats when their beeline and the channel may intersect.
    4. Perhaps the worst condition is opposite directions: Boats coming from Kenwood meeting those coming from the campground in the barge canal. Boaters don't keep right all the time, and that barge canal becomes very narrow very quickly.