Wet storage compartments / solutions?

I have a fiberglass 1 1/2" lip" that surrounds each storage compartment. The lids all have a black foam lining glued under them, I assume the manufacture figured this would make a compression seal when the lids are latched shut. It seams the black foam holds condensation and does not help in keeping moisture out of compartments. Heavy rain, water finds it way in, creates condensation and cycle of moisture starts again.

I have wondered if some of the water comes thru the piano hinges that run along each lid. I have Pergo lock latches. Is there a better foam lining to glue under the lids that won't hold the moisture.

Any tips on helping keep some moisture out of compartments?

2. Member
    I am having a similar problem. I thought of the hinges also, but that doesn't explain water getting over the lip and into the compartment in my case. I think it is my latches. Going to investigate.
    "Dedicated to Dad. He always had time to take me fishing." Jerry McKinnis

Hing is behind the lip. Not the issue.

have you tightened the latch assembly? As the carpet wears they get a little loose, this will let the water in around the whole 2.5" diameter of the latch.

have you tightened the latch arm to make sure the compression function is continuing to work?

do you have a garage or is the boat under a tarp outside? If in a garage open them up after a rain and wipe the channels out while your at it. If it's under a tarp you may be SOL maybe open them up as far as a closed latch will hold it open like a inch?

any ways sometimes I have soaked my boat and I went out the next day post frontal dry air sunny and windy, open all the compartments for 10-20 minutes makes a huge difference
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

I'd bet anything it's your latches that are leaking.

Most of compartments are missing weather stripping altogether and all but one of them stays dry. Funny enough the one with weather stripping is the one that leaks. Took me forever to finally realize that the stuff below the latch was what got wet in a light rain and piece it together.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    I've got a wet rod locker - narrowed it down to the bottom of the rubrail.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota