Garmin GPSMAP 8612xvs with or without Sonar for Livesope?

New to Garmin and trying to figure out if I need the unit with or with out Sonar to run Livescope. The unit will be only to run livescope, is there a better option from Garmin than the 8600 units?

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    You do not need sonar to run Livescope. Look at the 8412. No sonar and base mapping.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/62...n/010-02092-00
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    You may have already considered all you need to but be sure about a non-sonar model. Expensive to change your mind later.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    Resale value of a no sonar unit is also something to consider

5. Member
    Why an 8612? Why not a 1243 or 122? No benefit of the higher resolution of the 8612 with LS.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

6. Member
    Other than it's FHD 1920 x 1080 display, there's no other reason. The reason I'm asking with or with out sonar is because on the Garmin site when you change between "sonar" yes or no, it change the complete sonar support and when you choose the option "no" this
    gone. So I'm guessing this unit is does not support Panoptix LiveScope?

Bigbry, why do you say there is no benefit for having a unit with higher resolution for LiveScope?

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Pantopix whether its the older version or Live Scope, uses the network port to operate, therefore you can have the unit without sonar. When they talk about no sonar, they are referring to 2d sonar and Side/Clear Vu.

8. Member
    I have an 8612 non sonar unit that I only use for Livescope. Great unit but if I could buy it over again I would spend the $500 more for the sonar version for added flexibility if I wanted to add a down or side transducer and for resale value.
    I've had both a 93sv plus and an Echomap Ultra 122 unit. I know many have stated there is zero improvement with the higher resolution screen with Livescope. Maybe it's just me but I seem to get better target separation and slightly better brush detail with my 8612 unit than I did with my other units. Also screen is easy to see even in bright sunlight. Just my 2 cents.

9. Member
    I have no other need for the unit other than to run LiveScope and saving the $500 would pay for Navionic and LiveScope mount. Which would be great to have both Navionic and LakeMaster.
    I not to concern about resale, I don’t use sell off gear.

I have notice people saying the FHD display is easier to see on bright days.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If you are talking about a Navionics chip for the Garmin unit, it will not work. Only chip that works with Garmin is their own which is Lake Vu g3 chip. Now there is some data from Navionics on the chip but couldn't tell you which lakes.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/marinechart-mappurchase/

In link below, you can see what's available for your area.

https://lakes.garmin.com/

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentBoost View Post
    I have no other need for the unit other than to run LiveScope and saving the $500 would pay for Navionic and LiveScope mount. Which would be great to have both Navionic and LakeMaster.
    I not to concern about resale, I don’t use sell off gear.

I have notice people saying the FHD display is easier to see on bright days.

I would do the 8610 instead of the 8612, a lot less expensive and the image quality is as good or slightly better due to higher resolution on just a touch smaller screen. I’ve had a 1242 non touch and the 8610 is heaps better in image quality.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    You may have already considered all you need to but be sure about a non-sonar model. Expensive to change your mind later.
    Exactly what my shop tells folks. My first LS unit I wanted to order no sonar but he talked me out of it. Six months later I was wanting to upgrade and the sonar ability made all the difference.

13. Member
    Decide to go with the 8612 w/sonar. Now the hard part finding a place that stock them and reconfiguring the boat lay out for everything.

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I think you made a smart choice to have sonar included.