Lower unit paint for 2019 Mercury pro xs 4 stroke

Hello
    Did a little shallow water rubbing and want to touch up the paint on my lower unit
    Is the verado grey available through mercury the correct color?
    TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Yes
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

Yes it is
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

4. Member
    Just refinished mine and was weary of painting it and it just come off when exposed to turbulent water and sand.

this is what I did...

lightly sanded the skeg
    wiped clean w acetone
    sprayed w Mercury primer x 2
    sprayed with mercury silver paint x 2
    sprayed with clear coat x 2

might be overkill but it survived my first day out. And also made sure I waited for 30-60 min between coats on all. Waited a few days to allow to cure before exposing to water.

good luck.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good info... though most of these are not clear coated.

Ferris- if you would, please be sure to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerZ519 View Post
    Just refinished mine and was weary of painting it and it just come off when exposed to turbulent water and sand.

this is what I did...

lightly sanded the skeg
    wiped clean w acetone
    sprayed w Mercury primer x 2
    sprayed with mercury silver paint x 2
    sprayed with clear coat x 2

might be overkill but it survived my first day out. And also made sure I waited for 30-60 min between coats on all. Waited a few days to allow to cure before exposing to water.

good luck.
    wanted to update after a season with the repaint: I would say it lasted half the season. It’s back to what it looked like before the repaint. I am wondering if I need to reconsider the primer I am using? I used Mercury light gray primer 92-802878 52.

OP or others did you have better results?

7. Member
    I more or less did what you described and bought the paint from Don. I did not clearcoat but was thinking that would help some more. I think I cleaned it with mineral spirits and acetone. It was cool at night when I did it, so I put an insulated bag around the lower unit, with a 60W light bulb in the bad, overnight and then used the boat about 2 days after that. I have only used it 3 time, but so far it has stayed on. Based on your post, it sounds like it will disappear after a half season, so I should know more next year.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A lot depends on how much bare metal you have exposed. In most cases, it's necessary to use a self-etching primer (such as zinc chromate) where significant metal is bare/exposed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Here are a few tips that might help. Make sure the metal temp is stabilized per recommendation prior to and after spraying. Follow MFR's recommendation for recoating, extending recoat times can actually reduce adhesion of subsequent coats. I would not use anything except wax and grease remover (I use waterborne only) on the bare metal prior to applying an etch primer, which I always use on aluminum. Acetone, mineral spirits, and even real lacquer thinner (not hardware store stuff) can, and do, cause adhesion problems. Never touch the bare aluminum you will transfer skin oil to the surface.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax