Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Garmin Transducer GT8HW-IH

Hi,
    On my brand new (2020) Ranger Reata 1850 MS “fish and play boat” is a Ranger installed Garmin "in-hull" sounder probe GT8HW-IH driven by a Garmin GPSMAP 8610 XSV. It also has a GT30 at the transom which works correctly. At rest, the GT8 probe works OK but as soon as I go 18 mph, there is no more depth readings. Dealer says it is normal…which seems to me unacceptable! On their Internet site, Garmin says this probe is specially made for that kind of speed boat to give accurate depth reading while running. I think the probe is wrongly installed or defect!
    Have any idea? What is your experience with "in hull" probe? With Ranger in-hull probe? With this Garmin in-hull probe? Thanks for your comments! It would help; I’m so disappointed about this issue!

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Don't have a ranger but it could be in the wrong spot. If you can get to it maybe try and move it.....More than likely it's the location and not the ducer.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Don't have a ranger but it could be in the wrong spot. If you can get to it maybe try and move it.....More than likely it's the location and not the ducer.
    This!

4. Banned
    Just my opinion, but the garmin shoot-thru ducers don't work as good as other brands. I have the GT15 in my Triton. It's mounted in the same exact spot that the factory installed Lowrance shoot-thru was mounted. The lowrance would read up to 40 MPH consistently, while the Garmin barely reads up to 20 MPH.

YMMV, but that's my experience.

5. Member
    It's poorly mounted mine reads to 70 with no problem. Needs to be redone
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

6. Member
    Man, your dealer needs to fix this. He must be a real piece of work to state that it’s normal!
    Pool 10

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc Gregor View Post
    Man, your dealer needs to fix this. He must be a real piece of work to state that it’s normal!
    That's kinda my thoughts as well. I have the same ducer in my bilge and it works pretty good at speeds 50-60 mph.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    How do you redo? I’ve thinking I’ve redoing mine because it’s return is not ideal.
    How do it get it free from the epoxy with damaging the transducer or hull?

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by srobinson View Post
    How do you redo? I’ve thinking I’ve redoing mine because it’s return is not ideal.
    How do it get it free from the epoxy with damaging the transducer or hull?
    put a piece of wood against it and hit the wood with a dead blow until it pops free.

10. Member
    I hope this is not the case with all gt8...my plan is to go gt36 with gt8 thru hull. Right now I have a lowrance unit with a thru hull and it reads up to 67 mph, probably faster too if my boat could do it
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

11. Member
    As others have said, it has to be the location or poor install. The one I had in my Ranger Z521 C read depth at any speed the boat would run
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    I hope this is not the case with all gt8...
    That's why before you glue it down, test it on the water to see where the best spot is.

Installed mine with duct seal and still reading perfectly at speed. Can't think of a reason to epoxy this one at this time.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

14. Member
    What is duct seal and does it harden up like epoxy?
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Installed mine with duct seal and still reading perfectly at speed. Can't think of a reason to epoxy this one at this time.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL

15. Member
    I will put it right next to my lowrance thru hull...what do u use to hold it down for testing?
    That's why before you glue it down, test it on the water to see where the best spot is.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    You can take a gallon zip lock bag and fill with sand or something heavy to sit it on top. Might have to add water to the bilge also.....

Duct seal makes it easy. Work it like clay and stick a ball of it on the floor of your bilge where you want your transducer to go. Then just mush the transducer down into it.

It cost very little. You can get a plug of it at HD or Amazon. It holds the transducer securely. In fact, you will be surprised at how much effort it takes to pull your transducer out once it's in. But once out, you can roll it up off the bilge floor and reapply it if you need to relocate the transducer. It doesn't absorb the signal and the image you get is as good as if you had used epoxy. Perfect.

Apparently, this is a trick borrowed from the kayak enthusiasts. I don't know why it's not more often used. I'm curious to see if it will stand the test of time but I've seen where others have used it as a permanent solution.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

18. Member
    thanks!!! I will give this a try
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Duct seal makes it easy. Work it like clay and stick a ball of it on the floor of your bilge where you want your transducer to go. Then just mush the transducer down into it.

It cost very little. You can get a plug of it at HD or Amazon. It holds the transducer securely. In fact, you will be surprised at how much effort it takes to pull your transducer out once it's in. But once out, you can roll it up off the bilge floor and reapply it if you need to relocate the transducer. It doesn't absorb the signal and the image you get is as good as if you had used epoxy. Perfect.

Apparently, this is a trick borrowed from the kayak enthusiasts. I don't know why it's not more often used. I'm curious to see if it will stand the test of time but I've seen where others have used it as a permanent solution.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL

I went through this when i switched from Lowrance to Garmin. I tried duct seal, 5200, silicone, epoxy.... No matter what it cut out on me at 50mph. I went to the GT15 and havent had any issues with it. Have ran it up to 84mph and it still reads.
    Blazer 625/300xs

20. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The GT15 has more power....Didn't try the GT8 but went with the GT15 also and no issues reading up to at least 65......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast