OX66 Lift Pump Removal Questions

For those who have replaced the LP lift pumps with an on-board electric fuel pump. I have read so much that I think I have analysis paralysis ...
    What size fuse did you use to protect the circuit feeding the new pump? I believe the Holley red pump draws 2 amps so I was thinking I would run 12awg wire and put a 5 amps fuse on the circuit.
    Would 14 AWG be big enough for the VST pump circuit tap to feed the relay control?
    Did you fuse this VST tap circuit?
    What micron rating should I get for the filter on the pressure side of the electric pump? I think I've seen anywhere from 10 to 35.
    Should I remove the factory see thru fuel filter on the engine or can I leave it?
    Any reason why I could not place the inline (pressure side) fuel filter where the fuel bulb is now in the splash well? My thinking is that if I get a quality or performance one with replaceable cartridge, it would be much easier to replace outside of the bilge area.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

2. Member
    Another possible issue now, I went and got the Holley Red pump. In the instructions for this pump, it states that the pump must be below the fuel tank and not in an enclosed area. Wouldn't the bilge be considered enclosed?
    I am having trouble trying to locate a place for the pump that puts it below the fuel tanks. Has anyone mounted one above the tank and had no issues with fuel delivery?
    If I do put it in the bottom of the bilge, it will be getting wet for sure and I'm thinking that would not be good for the pump.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

3. Member

Holley Red Pump lift pump delete

I used the Holley Red pump as well. I did use the VST circuit to trigger the relay. I did not fuse the VST circuit; it's already fused. My pump does not sit below the tank and it pulls fuel with no problem. (I asked the same exact question on this forum before I mounted mine). The bilge is vented, so I didn't really worry about that. However, there is a marine red pump that I believe has a port to run a vent hose. I forget what amp fuse I ran, but if it says it draws 2 amps, a 5 amp fuse should be fine. 14 ga wire is good for 15 amps, 12 ga wire is good for 20 amps. I did remove my OEM plastic filter bowl because there is the possibility of that bowl distorting and causing it to suck air. (However, its really not sucking anymore, it's being pressure fed. I believe mine has a cleanable screen that is 40 micron before the pump and a Racor 2 micron filter after the pump. I will try to attach a picture of my pump set up if I can find one on my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wcs69rat; 05-03-2021 at 02:49 AM. Reason: added image

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wcs69rat View Post
    I used the Holley Red pump as well. I did use the VST circuit to trigger the relay. I did not fuse the VST circuit; it's already fused. My pump does not sit below the tank and it pulls fuel with no problem. (I asked the same exact question on this forum before I mounted mine). The bilge is vented, so I didn't really worry about that. However, there is a marine red pump that I believe has a port to run a vent hose. I forget what amp fuse I ran, but if it says it draws 2 amps, a 5 amp fuse should be fine. 14 ga wire is good for 15 amps, 12 ga wire is good for 20 amps. I did remove my OEM plastic filter bowl because there is the possibility of that bowl distorting and causing it to suck air. (However, its really not sucking anymore, it's being pressure fed. I believe mine has a cleanable screen that is 40 micron before the pump and a Racor 2 micron filter after the pump. I will try to attach a picture of my pump set up if I can find one on my phone.
    THANKS for the reply! After I created this thread, I found your thread and started thinking that I would probably be ok.
    I bought a 100 micron clear glass filter to put before the pump, think that is free flowing enough to not cause an issue?
    I ordered a 10 micron water separating fuel filter to go on the out going side of the pump, think that is what I was reading most were putting at that location.
    Did you put a primer bulb ahead of your pump to ensure the pump is primed before energizing it?
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

5. Member
    I really want to do this mod for my 225 OX66, but so far have been chicken. The LP pumps are a real problem for me and I am not sure why. Usually replace one every year.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MYRX View Post
    I really want to do this mod for my 225 OX66, but so far have been chicken. The LP pumps are a real problem for me and I am not sure why. Usually replace one every year.
    If you are mechanically inclined I really believe you can do it!
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

7. Member
    What would be awesome is if we could get all of the in-depth threads on this topic stickied in the "how to" repairs links thread up top.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

8. Member
    I did not install a primer bulb before the pump. I have not had an issue yet with the pump pulling fuel.

9. Member
    Well I got the pump replacement done a couple of weeks ago. After removing the old ones I do not think they were yet leaking but now I will not ever have to worry about that. I could not find anyplace to put a water separating filter like some have done so I installed a 10 micron inline filter on the engine just before the VST. Tied into the high pressure pump circuit so it only runs when the high pressure pump runs. Pump makes a fair amount of noise, I can even hear it while idling so glad I did not have it on constantly, have to believe that could be a disturbance some fish wouldn't tolerate.
    I put the pump on the starboard portion of the bilge area with a 100 micron filter and primer bulb ahead of it. Eventually I want to find a quick disconnect fuel line connectors so I can disconnect ahead of the pump and pump the tanks out.
    It may be my imagination but the motor seems a bit more responsive / stronger when coming out of the hole and at mid range speeds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-D View Post
    Well I got the pump replacement done a couple of weeks ago. After removing the old ones I do not think they were yet leaking but now I will not ever have to worry about that. I could not find anyplace to put a water separating filter like some have done so I installed a 10 micron inline filter on the engine just before the VST. Tied into the high pressure pump circuit so it only runs when the high pressure pump runs. Pump makes a fair amount of noise, I can even hear it while idling so glad I did not have it on constantly, have to believe that could be a disturbance some fish wouldn't tolerate.
    I put the pump on the starboard portion of the bilge area with a 100 micron filter and primer bulb ahead of it. Eventually I want to find a quick disconnect fuel line connectors so I can disconnect ahead of the pump and pump the tanks out.
    It may be my imagination but the motor seems a bit more responsive / stronger when coming out of the hole and at mid range speeds.
    Looks good. If I were to suggest anything, I would get rid of those 90deg brass fittings on the Holley and go with Aeroquip, Earls, or Russel types with a radius flow instead of the hard angle. Some might say it won't matter at this power level but it sure won't hurt either.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkBird View Post
    Looks good. If I were to suggest anything, I would get rid of those 90deg brass fittings on the Holley and go with Aeroquip, Earls, or Russel types with a radius flow instead of the hard angle. Some might say it won't matter at this power level but it sure won't hurt either.
    Thanks for the thoughts Clarkbird!
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66