Dale Hollow struggles

I have been on the lake for the first time for three days now and having a difficult time. I am picking up some fish but definitely not what I was expecting.
    I can not seem to get any type of pattern going as I have caught them on different lures and locations. I honestly can't remember a tougher time fishing. I really was up here for smallmouth and even tried to reach out to the two local guides and they are not available.
    I here for another 10 days. Any thoughts?
    I thought I was a decent fisherman but I'm getting humbled every day.
    Let me know how you guys have been doing or if I just stink.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Keep expanding on what you have caught fish on. Dale Hollow can be a tough nut to crack at times. The smallmouth like to eat when its raining, overcast or the wind is blowing or all the above. If its a bluebird calm day, first thing in the morning and then again at dark will be your best bet.

This was two weeks ago.

3. Moderator
    What I had to learn was to not focus on structure around the bank. Find the depth zone the fish are hanging and fish that depth. Fish parallel to the bank and keep yourself in that depth zone. Sometimes you may be 10' off the bank and other times you may be 150' off the bank. As stated above during high pressure early morning or late evening is your best bet. Bites throughout the day are going to be tough to come by. Jigs,tubes and creature baits are what I catch most of the smallies on. Good luck. Dale can be tough.

4. Member
    Thanks a bunch guys. Both of you were extremely helpful and with a video too! Generally we all get six thousand views and only several help out. You two are what makes this site work for everyone.
    Thanks again.

5. Member
    I fished Saturday. The first time I've been there in a year. I only fished until about 1. Caught 4, lost 2 (2 LM, 2 SM). I thought I did pretty good considering I don't get to fish it every week, like I used to, and the blue bird skies. I found several schools offshore on the grass flats but could not get them to bite. None of the fish had spawned yet, or even looked like that had thought about it either but they were all right on the bank. The April full moon was the week before, that normally puts them on the bed, and that makes it tough, too. Sunday was probably a better day since it was overcast all day.

6. Member
    Some guys said the bass (both large and smallmouth) had already spawned on Laurel Lake. I know they're different lakes. But, one is supposedly already done and the other hasn't started? I guess even different parts of DH will spawn at different times. Or, those fish may not even be spawners this year.

7. Member
    How does she look after all the rain? We were headed down Tuesday and they had the roads closed before Burksville because of flooding.

8. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Meena View Post
    How does she look after all the rain? We were headed down Tuesday and they had the roads closed before Burksville because of flooding.
    I’m curious as well. I am going Saturday looking for crappie.

9. Member
    Interested also

10. Moderator
    I went today. Lake is full and probably 2-3' high from what I can tell as there were flowering plants under the water that I'm sure were not underwater a couple days ago. Way back in the creeks water was stained and somewhat muddy. Main lake was clear as usual. Not much floating debris. I put in at Horse Creek and ran between there and Mitchell Creek. Shad everywhere in every creek we went into and fish chasing them everywhere.