Does your 20 or 21 foot list really bad ?

Friend of mine went to test drive a 21 and he said lit leaned really bad to the left on take off, said it did not straighten out until he was trimmed up and on the pad. He told me no way would he buy one because of that. I am wondering if it was a weight distribution , he did not look to see the battery configuration.

2. Member
    My CX21 did the same thing until I redistributed weight. I’m waiting on lithium batteries to come in and in the meantime I used the same trays to put lead acid batteries in so I could start using it. So, 3 LA on left side vs 1 AGM crank battery on the right side. Ghost trolling motor is also on left side. It listed to the left up to about 30-35 mph and then would flatten out as I went up in speed. I put a 5th battery (will be Li ion house battery once they come in) on right side and distributed tackle/gear around and it’s gone. To be clear, it did not list on the hole shot, only once on plane and up to mid-range speed. It did not affect performance and was more mental for me at least. Easy fix with proper weight distribution.

3. Member
    Moved 3rd trolling battery over to cranking side last year. One agm and have 3 wet cell batteries.It solved many boats after this easy fix. Used 4ga wire and 1 juction block.$20 about. This boat is very weight distribution critical. Especially on demo rides without much load in boat.
    I even posted in last years threads about this,and even talked with David, Caymas plant manager, and showed it to him. Scroll through a few pages and you can find this info.
    My leveling out wasnt hole shot. Mine was running below 30mph. Mine had really bad lean running out of bays. I did this to 3 Tritons I had. Got tired of repositioning gear around. This way, i can bout put my gear anywhere.Throttling to level out wasnt an option. This leveled out mine really great for my application.
    Last edited by billproxs; 05-08-2021 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Fix

4. Member
    ^^^^^^^^
    all of this.
    moved battery in mine and problem is all but gone. Boat is so $&#@ing sweet, I don’t even care about these little quirks and necessary fixes. Not sure I’ll ever buy a different boat if caymas keeps going and no one else makes a comparable boat. If someone doesn’t like these, don’t buy it. For what they cost, you’d better love it.

5. Member
    My cx20 doesn’t list at all

6. Member
    I just leave my trim set at about 7 on the gauge, no list at all doing that, its up and gone in three seconds. Years ago there was a trim stop bolt that you could put up a notch, that would be perfect way to eliminate most list problems in my opinion or just simple as moving your weight around some in the back. Roark Sumerferd who has been Earls glass engineer for years helped design the bottom of the Caymas, hes a friend of mine, he flat out knows how to build a boat!!
    Let me add i have three 50ah lithium ionic trolling batteries on the port side, i have one 125 ah next to the cranking battery for house electronics and one agm wet cell battery for cranking due to Mercury warranty problems. Almost every boat Earl has built had just a little list on hole shot but would go way almost by adding a little trim!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    My cx20 doesn’t list at all
    Same. All 3 trolling motor batteries are on the far port side, I think this balances out my weight as a solo driver.

8. Member
    Sounds like a 2000 year model Stratos 20SS.
    I had one.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    I had one.
    No sir not near as bad as those

10. Member
    Mine does not list with a relatively standard configuration, cranking battery on driver side and tm batteries on passenger side.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    I had one.
    My 2000 21SS also listed badly on take off up to 35 ish. Earls hulls are more weight location sensitive then some others. But then again his Caymas CX21 is 3-5 miles per hour faster then the almost identically sized Ranger 521L.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    I think its an Earl Bentz thing. Ive owned a Triton before and it list very bad to the drivers side until it got on plane. Also road in other Tritons with the same issue. No other boat ive been in as that weight distribution critical that ive been in.