On the Trailer Motor Break-In ?

Was talking to a guy yesterday and a subject of breaking in a fresh rebuild came up. He mentioned that the dealership in Texas that rebuilt his motor does an "ON THE TRAILER" motor break in. Boat is strapped down on the trailer, diagnostic equipment hooked up, taken around back to their own little man made lake and launch ramp, backed into the water, prop'd toward the high side to ensure motor is always loaded at RPM's, then cycled through stages of RPM's and cool downs for periods of time. This also gives them real time analysis of motor condition after the build.

Sounds like a Dyno Pull of sorts in a controlled environment, but does it actually work better than running a lake or river for break in ????????
    Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

S.W. Ohio

2. Member
    well it aint me , cause no way would i let a mtr sit and run on a trailer at a ramp with the w/p sucking debri into cooling system or strickly relieing on pump to cool mtr at higher rpm with no ram effect at gearcase while on lake ,im a put it in and run it guy
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    well it aint me , cause no way would i let a mtr sit and run on a trailer at a ramp with the w/p sucking debri into cooling system or strickly relieing on pump to cool mtr at higher rpm with no ram effect at gearcase while on lake ,im a put it in and run it guy
    I tend to agree especially on the w/p sucking up everything the prop has stirred up (YUKKKKKK).
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make that +3.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Breaking in the motor is another excuse to get on the water, why would you want to do that on a trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    Breaking in the motor is another excuse to get on the water, why would you want to do that on a trailer?
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

7. Member
    any SMOKE yet
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

any SMOKE yet
    Sorry Joe ........
    Nope, I've been dragging my feet a little, life (or wife ) got in the way, i.e. landscaping, lawn mowing, plantings, you know that Honey-Do stuff to keep a happy home happy and now the rains have stepped in for the rest of this week. SO....... it'll be next week at the earliest before there's another attempt at: "Fire in the hole". I was able to get my "EZ FOOT BILLET RACING THROTTLE" installed:

last night as it rained as well as a new water pump. You'll be the first one to know when it's time buddy, thanks for think'n about me though , have a great week.
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

9. Member
    looks good , i was just worried you might have got your P and S crossed on pistons okay, keep camera close and ear plugs handy

looks good , i was just worried you might have got your P and S crossed on pistons okay, keep camera close and ear plugs handy

, no chance of getting P&S mixed up, to many years in the Navy for that to happen....

Will do on the Camera & Ear Plugs...........
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

11. Member
    thanks for those you served sir

Thank you for your support and acknowledgement
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

13. Member
    Am retired USAF and proudly add my thanks too.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    also thanks FOX