Seastar hydraulic fluid ISO 15 fluid in Canada

Hey guys,

I know this has been BEAT TO DEATH but i just want to confirm something.

We have a company here that makes their own marine hydraulic system and oil and i did send an email to the company but god knows how long they will take to reply with the lock downs and everything happening here.

All I can find spec wise for the oil is that it is ISO 15. I do have what seastar recommends being the MIL spec H5606 which I can get my hands on but I do fear of staining my gel coat with the red Dye thats added to it.

I've also seen Don recommend the Quicksilver/Merc power trim and steering fluid as a substitute though I can't find any actual specs on that one either looking at the bottle. is the QS merc stuff a ISO 15 as well?

Any input would be appreciated! before its said.... 1 quart of seastar here is EXACTLY double the price of pretty well anything else. would cost me 80$ to get 2 quarts... and thats me hoping 2 is enough as I do plan on flushing old fluid out.

Here's a pic of the product here... i know it doesnt say much of anything...

Last edited by ride.race.live; 04-30-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

2. Member
    figured id add this to the chat...

I know seastar recommends their oil or a variety with a MIL spec of H5606...

However from what im getting their own oil doesn't even meet that MIL spec according to the MSDS sheet...

all their oil is High VI (what ever that means) ISO 15 oil...

2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

3. Member
    I use ATF fluid for my seastar steering. I like the red, it’s easier to see leaks. I can also say that it doesn’t stain my gelcoat, at least the ATF I used, I spilt a decent amount on my boat, inside and out, had to finish bleeding the system before cleaning, sprayed it off with hose only and no stain.

HOWEVER, being you are in Canada, the mil spec recommended for seastar is mainly due to the fact it has lower viscosity in cold weather. I rarely fish in less than 45-50 degrees weather, so I’m not worried. You probably need the mil spec.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    I bought mine on Amazon for $37.00/quart
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

Available on Amazon

Been using this stuff for years:
    Meets MIL-SPEC: Phillips 66 X/C 5606A
    Aviation Hydraulic Fluid
    $34.66 per gallon
    Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

S.W. Ohio

6. Member
    Thanks! I was more so worried about the red dye staining but if it doesnt bonus...

I can get the xc 66 fluid jere for 40 a gal. So almost same cost of 1 qt of seastar fluid

Quote Originally Posted by ride.race.live View Post
    Thanks! I was more so worried about the red dye staining but if it doesnt bonus...

I can get the xc 66 fluid jere for 40 a gal. So almost same cost of 1 qt of seastar fluid
    I don't know if the fluid would stain or not. I've always handled it like it would stain and used plastic sheet and shop rags under where I'm using it.
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Man View Post
    I don't know if the fluid would stain or not. I've always handled it like it would stain and used plastic sheet and shop rags under where I'm using it.
    ahh ok I should of read the post more closely haha. ill just make sure we keep it clean and use a cover etc...

X/c 66 is on order!

Quote Originally Posted by ride.race.live View Post
    ahh ok I should of read the post more closely haha. ill just make sure we keep it clean and use a cover etc...

X/c 66 is on order!
    Glad to hear your get'n some and saving some $$$$ too.....
    Gary

S.W. Ohio