Lower unit installation trouble

I am trying to put the lower unit back on my 1997 50tlrv. I had a lot do trouble getting back on and it would stop 3/4 inch from going on. I twisted the splines to the shifter on the lower unit and got it back on, but the prop won’t spin freely no matter what gear I put it in. I took the unit back off, and no matter how I turn those splines, if I spin the prop to drive shaft spins. So it’s not going into neutral. What could be the issue? It worked great before I removed it.

2. Member
    I suspect that you having turned the shifting splines is causing the problem. Best if lower unit is removed with the motor in neutral and then don't mess with the shift mechanism at all.

Remove the lower unit. Use padded jaws on a pair of channel locks to shift the lower unit back into neutral. Propeller should turn freely in either direction. Make sure the motor is in neutral.

The drive shaft splines will usually contact the crank shaft first. Wiggle the lower unit to get them to engage. Then as you move the lower unit further upward you will have to engage the shift shaft splines.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I can move the splines on the lower unit but can’t find neutral. That’s my problem. No matter where I adjust it the prop always spins the drive shaft with it