4 blade at high elevation

Can someone recommend a 4 blade for my Mercury 250 PXS.
    This is on a Phoenix 920 Pro XP. I am running at around 5400' elevation and I am more interested in handling and holeshot than top speed.
    I currently have a 24 Fury on it but the boat came from Ohio to Colorado so I also need to drop in pitch to around a 21 or 22 which limits my choices it seems.
    Jeff
    2015 Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Colorado

I'd consider the 20-22P Bravo1 FS or XS... Or Marks Razor4-XL

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I'd consider the 20-22P Bravo1 FS or XS... Or Marks Razor4-XL
    Thank you.
    Does the 4 blade run about the same pitch as the 3 blade? In other words I guess, if I was going to run a 22 pitch 3 blade would I stick with a 22 on the 4 blade?
    Jeff
    2015 Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    Colorado

Depends on the prop models you compare

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    Sorry for the long reply, but that's the way I am. While I've never owned a "biiig" boat like yours, I have owned a 18-19 ftrs 2005 TR186 dual console w/175 optimax, an 89 Ranger 364V w/2002 or so 150 EFI, and a 2018 18 TRX 200 pro xs all ran between 8,700 down to 300 ft elevation. I'm no expert, but know some elevation stuff to help.

1st-Any bass boat properly setup (correct prop to pad & appx 100 rpm from max rpm at WOT) for a full tourney load (2 peeps, full livewells, 2 beefy guys, and gear) from sea level say 300-400 ft above sea level to a lake with an increase of 5k elevation "will" require a 2 pitch reduction in same exact prop brand/type/size, maybe 3 depending on setup.

2nd-I'm assuming you have the pvs holes in/out correct. For high elevation all holes plugged lags you holeshot anyway unless your underpropped in my opinion, so try 3 plugs out, if you get prop blowout/overrev flooring onto plane, put a medium/large/solig plug in 1 hole first and if you don't blowout/overrev with tourney load your good, if still rpm spinout, put a solid plug in one hole, then solid in one, large in another and so one until you don't get blowout. I've seen more than a few people with incorrect pvs plug setups either spinout or can't get on pad. PVS plugs do not impact top end but can greatly reduce holeshot and can make you "not get on pad at all" or reduce your holeshot greatly. I've seen the local BPS sell a buddy in my fishing club a $70K boat and he couldn't get on pad, til I told him to go pull some plugs out of his new boat prop. I also had a "correct" size prop, but with to many solid & large plugs in, the boat half the time would just bog down on full throttle holeshot and sounded as if the motor wasn't getting power, gas, spark and sounded bogged down, then 5 sec later would get power & jump outta the hole (that's what cavitation of the prop feels/sounds like around 2-3k rpms coming out the hole it goes gggrrrr,blub, blub, blub). So you need to adjust pvs plugs to get the best holeshot. More open pvs holes allows more prop spin up, and rpm to grab water. To much open pvs holes can make your prop spinout/over rpm during holeshot. And a tourney load versus just you can make a diff. Just like trying to find the right prop for light and tourney load, summer heat power loss, winter cold power gain, pvs plugs are almost as important as the prop pitch.

3rd-When you take your boat or vehicle to 5k elevation, you "will" lose 10% minimum of your hp/toq output and drop about 5-10% of your top end speed from sea level so this is why you reduce pitch and you won't get the 10% top speed gain back you just get your holeshot back, so you have to compensate every 2k to 3k in elevation with a 1-2 pitch drop ie...go to a high mountain lake of 7500-8k elev and may need another 1-2p reduction in prop. You loss of hp output and reduction in prop pitch to get on plane equals the 10% drop in top end.

I've only tried Tempest & Trophy & one Razor 4 blade so Tempest & trophy are most of my inputs for you. The trophy at 5k elev is more sluggish than a tempest of same pitch and 1-2 mph slower top end, 4 blade usually handles better for tight turns/control.
    I've "read" the fury is stiffer and turns a little harder than a tempest so keep that in mind.
    My 18-19 ft boats turned a same pitch trophy sluggisher holeshot & top end than a same pitch tempest (I was surprised by this).
    Prop to pad should make little difference in your holeshot, but ensure you have 14psi water pressure above 4k rpm to be safe and 14 psi at WOT/speed max.
    Your PTP needs to be 2.5 for tempest 3 blade and 2.75-3.25 for Fury

In short assuming you want the control of a 4 blade and a 24p Fury 3 blade was working in Ohio (Elev??), you likely need "at least a 2 pitch reduction and maybe 3 pitch in a 4 blade". You might want to call/try a Mark Croxton 24p Razor since the prices are better than trophy prop last I checked and razor (2 razor prop types so ask Mark's Custom Props) seems blades are tuned/cut better than a stock rough trophy NIB. If you try a croxton 4 blade, still a 22-23p pitch drop from the Ohio Fury 24. You may also want to try a 22p or 23p Tempest. I have one of each new
    Last edited by barmour; 05-01-2021 at 06:28 PM.

6. Member
    Jeff, I’m just down the street in Castle Rock and have a Phoenix 721 with a 250 Pro XS. I ran 25 Fury, 23 Tempest and just got a 23” Solas Scorpion. I do not have any problem with handling or holeshot. All of the about props have PVS/vent holes to dial in the hole shot. I can run down to less than 25 mph yet still on plane. PM me if you want to discuss further. You are also welcome to borrow any of the props I have.
    Harry

7. Member
    Thanks you for the replies.
    Harry, PM sent. I didn't think there was another Phoenix within a few hundred miles of here!
    I should be picking up and trying out a Bravo in the next couple of days so this one is "to be continued"
    Jeff
    2015 Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    Colorado