2009 Ranger z522 trailer rim upgrade

Hi,

I have a 2009 Z 522 Ranger with trailer and want to upgrade the 215 75 14 rims and tires to a larger size rim, maybe a 17 or 18" rim. I know this would change the tire size to fit properly but Iwanted to get some ideas for what size rim and tire would work on the setup. And if anybody has any ideas of where to get nice looking rims for the boat trailer it would be appreciated. Thx

2. Member
    Check the load rating on your trailer tires? But going to a 17 or 18 inch rim will mean using a non trailer rated tire (many of the new boats are already doing this). Also you need to find the offset and or backspacing on your rims to make sure you get that correct on new rims so you don't rub the fenders. If you have torsion axles you can always move the spindle a few notches (1-3) to raise the trailer also for clearance.

Tire I would probably use as it has highest weight rating I could find in a 17" rim and close to same size as you current tires rim combo.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/...-225-55R17.htm

Offset measuring

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech...m&gclsrc=aw.ds

2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    That's great information...thank you!!

4. Member
    Does anyone have any upgrades that you have done that you could share. It would be nice to see some before and after photos of a ranger with a rim upgrade. If.possible, could you let me know the specifics of the Tires and rims you used. Etc. Thank you in advance!!

5. Member
    I just wrapped up a wheel upgrade on my 2014 Z520. HUGE HASSLE!!!! Took months of test fitting different tire and wheel combinations. I was very conscious of load ratings as I do a fair amount of long distance travelling. Finally had to settle on 10mm spacers (also replaced the wheel studs to compensate for the extra mounting depth) with a 235/50/17 Yokohama YK740 tire on 17x8.5 wheels (-6 backspacing). The Yokohama had the load rating as well as a good temperature resistance. I had my eyes on the Vision Heavy Haulers, which is a trailer specific low profile tire, but couldn't get a combination that would work with Ranger's funny fender design.
    IMG_7522.JPG

6. Member
    BTW the new tire/wheel combo is as close to the original combo as we could fit. Wheel width was the issue. Nobody makes comparable backspacing/width wheels in a large diameter.

7. Member
    I was very concerned about how difficult it may be... Sounds like you got yours figured out though. Thank you for the information and I'll take a look to see if your setup would work on mine. Thx again!

8. Member
    The tires and rims look great on your Ranger!!

9. Member
    If you don't mind me asking where did you get the rims?

10. Member
    I talked to a tire guy about this a couple years ago when the 17” wheels and tires starting becoming popular. His opinion was they look cool but he wouldn’t recommend it because there’s not a lot of suspension in boat trailers so the more sidewall you have the more flex it gives but when have the lower profile tire there’s less shock absorption from the tires and it transfers to the trailer. Idk if it’s worth the concern but just my two cents on the matter.

11. Member
    I upgraded or upsized mine from 14 inch to 15 inch and went with the Goodyear Endurance tires. Ordered my wheels from recstuff.com and tires from discount. Tires have been great with well over 3000 miles and no wheel issues.

20191130_162111.jpg20191130_173718.jpg20201101_130702.jpg

12. Member
    Good points!! I may just keep the same size rim and get something that looks a little flashier. That way I don't have to worry about any issues down the road. Thanks again!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txsranger View Post
    I upgraded or upsized mine from 14 inch to 15 inch and went with the Goodyear Endurance tires. Ordered my wheels from recstuff.com and tires from discount. Tires have been great with well over 3000 miles and no wheel issues.

20191130_162111.jpg20191130_173718.jpg20201101_130702.jpg
    Thanks!! Your rig looks sweet!!

14. mikesxpress
    Rim upgrade on my 2009 Z21 Intracoastal. Endurance tires. Kept the stock rim/tire size.

15. Member
    Sweet rig!!