installing talons to bobs machine jack plate

I had just purchased a new boat with a 10 inch set back bobs machine jack plate. I have been having trouble finding videos online of the install and am not sure if you need to shim from the recessed area on the jack plate. Looking for some help if anyone can point me in the right direction so i can have a proper install. Thanks!

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Id assume minn kota has the ap spacers for the bobs plate just like Power Pole does.

3. Member
    I have the Bob's 10" Action Jack on my boat and bolted the Talon brackets to the sides of the jack plate without the need of spacers.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    I have the Bob's 10" Action Jack on my boat and bolted the Talon brackets to the sides of the jack plate without the need of spacers.
    Did yours come with the pre drilled holes in the recessed area? I have to dril my holes from a template Bob’s sent me, but they didn’t say anything about shims when I had called them.

5. Member
    Shims are needed. Minn kota & bobs both sell them. Or, you can make your own out of 3/8 or 1/2” aluminum bar.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

6. Member
    I used homemade aluminum shims like lightning 6 said above.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wpgsteve View Post
    Did yours come with the pre drilled holes in the recessed area? I have to dril my holes from a template Bob’s sent me, but they didn’t say anything about shims when I had called them.
    The action jack doesn't have the recess so no shims are needed.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

I definitely had to have shims in order to mount my talons to my Bob's Machine Action Jack. The shims were needed to give the Talon brackets clearance from the bolts already in the side of the Bob's plate. My Bob's Action Jack Plate had pre-drilled holes where the Talon bolts attach. Due to this, without the spacers, my brackets would definitely interfere with the bolt heads that hold the jack plate together. Not sure how others are able to attach the talon brackets without the spacers unless maybe it's because of maybe having a wider setback jack plate. Mine is an 8 inch set back and I know the 6 inch setback also has clearance issues because my brother has the 6 inch and he too had to have the spacers.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    I definitely had to have shims in order to mount my talons to my Bob's Machine Action Jack. The shims were needed to give the Talon brackets clearance from the bolts already in the side of the Bob's plate. My Bob's Action Jack Plate had pre-drilled holes where the Talon bolts attach. Due to this, without the spacers, my brackets would definitely interfere with the bolt heads that hold the jack plate together. Not sure how others are able to attach the talon brackets without the spacers unless maybe it's because of maybe having a wider setback jack plate. Mine is an 8 inch set back and I know the 6 inch setback also has clearance issues because my brother has the 6 inch and he too had to have the spacers.
    Set back apparently makes a difference. My Bob's is a 10".
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

10. Member
    On my Bob's 10 inch action jack, it was a direct fit to the holes predrilled, no spacers or extra fudging required.

11. Member
    The older Bobs plates do not have the holes pre-drilled. Also the shim is supposed to span the recess in the plate, it does not fit inside. I cheated mine toward the boat side of the plate recess and used the spacer. On my set up I was not comfortable with the lack surface area the spacer had touching the plate on either side of the recess, about 1/16"