idbefishing

How shallow can XPress boats go?

I see the commercial stating they can go shallow. I’d like to know what is the shallowest water one can run in. I’m searching for something that has similar capabilities as a jet boat that I could also use on big lakes. Would any of the Xpress fits the bill? Thanks

2. Member
    This is more a function of hull design and outboard type. The flatter the hull, the shallower you can run. Most of the best jet powered, shallow running hulls have a slight deadrise, like 6 degrees. My River-pro can run in a few inches of water, but she's no big water boat. The Xpress bass series boats are not a whole lot different from their fiberglass counterparts, as far as hull shape. A deadrise of 12 degrees will let you run about 1 foot or so, still have some large lake "capacity" depending on how the rest of the hull can deliver lift. If you simply slap a jet on a deeper V rig, you automatically lose 30+ % of your horsepower (due to jet pump conversion) and they are not terribly efficient getting on plane. Unfortunately, there are always trade-offs. Tunnels hulls are certainly viable options, but again, they are usually used on flatter hull designs.

3. idbefishing
    Those River Pro are badass. Do you have much issue with vegetation and float leaves? Do you have a stomp grate? So they're no good in choppy water? They seem heavy, do they get blown around much in the wind?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    Those River Pro are badass. Do you have much issue with vegetation and float leaves? Do you have a stomp grate? So they're no good in choppy water? They seem heavy, do they get blown around much in the wind?
    I don't have much trouble with vegetation or leaves. I use the wider spaced weed grate and tactical driving.. :) To avoid dense mats when starting up or shutting down. I personally don't think a stomp grate is worth the trade off of reduced intake surface area... But others like them. My boat is a dream man, seriously. I have had it out in four footers before, handles well if you know what your doing and don't have the expectation to stay dry.. LOL They are indeed a truly solid rig that is incredibly nimble with a single hand steering of 180 degrees nock to nock... But, they are a "flat bottom boat" with some serious mods.. So you can't expect V hull performance from them.. Mine is a low pro, so I Think the profile makes a big difference as far as wind affecting performance while fishing... They don't have any kind of rudder with the sportjet, so if you fish a windy side of a lake where current is not strong, the boat will get aligned... Some guys have created rudder devices to use with jets to help... I just didn't think it's that big of a deal... They are heavier than 100 gauge aluminum rigs for sure... .190 on the bottom, .120 on the sides. Mine has been through some serious stuff and back since 2005.... And still runs perfectly! That's the advantage and trade off I guess... Shoot me a PM if you want to talk more. This give a little example of some stuff :D

5. idbefishing
    Damn, that is some serious water off roading.

6. Member
    I have run mine in 18-24 inches of water. Sandy bottom so not that worried about the prop but on plane it gets skinny. H20b.

7. idbefishing
    How skinny? Are you comfortable running in less than 12”?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    How skinny? Are you comfortable running in less than 12”?
    No but that might be more of my skittishness as opposed to the capability of the boat.

9. Member
    There's a gentleman here in PA that has one of those Bulletproof boats built by Make Watson. It's got a 250 prop on it with a tunnel hull and he's run shoulder shoulder with the jet boats here on the Susquehanna river. Thing moves too. There's a compartment in it that holds an entire lower unit, just in case.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

10. idbefishing
    LOL! that’s a big just in case

11. Member
    I own an H20Bay 2016 with 115sho and 6 in Atlas Hydraulic Jack plate and 4blade 17P prop. I can run on plane in about 12 to 16 inches of water if I am paying a lot of attention. I need about 20 inches of water to get on plane. I float in 12 with just little rubbing from bottom of V hull. Xpress makes a SW##Bay boat that is designed for shallow water. I looked at this model. It will float in 6 to 8 inches. Wil run in 6 to 8 inches will get on plane in 6 to 8 inches. Hope that helps good luck with your search.
    Last edited by RSColeman; 05-12-2021 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling of words