whats the deal with stress cracks up in the front V of the hull

what's the deal with stress cracks up in the front V of the hull?!? every champion I have looked at have had spider web stress cracking in the gelcoat up in the front V of the hull..
    2003 188 - 2008 198 - 2007 200 elite and a 2008 200 elite all had some sort of cracking... hard to justify spending 30k on a boat with stress cracks in the front of the hull. maybe I'm over reacting?

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Not sure I understand what you mean by "front v".

Zero stress cracking anywhere on my 198.

I have zero stress cracks on my 2007 210. And she has been through some ruff stuff.

4. Member
    The first part of the hull to hit the waves, about 10-12 inches up on the sides from where the keel guard is glued

5. Member
    When is the last time you actually got down there and inspected it closely? The cracks are thin, hair line if you will but still alarming

every weekend the past 2 months I have taken it out, and washed and waxed it. I do have other issues with my hull (scratches, dings and dents), but no stress cracks.

No cracks on my 2009 , 210 either

2009 ELITE 210

8. Member
    Probably from power loading on the trailer and smacking the bow roller. If the cracks are down the keel some, I'd say there are structural issues with the stringers causing flex. The gel cracks when this happens in just the manner you are describing. Without pics of what you're describing though it's hard to say with confidence.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

9. Member
    Could be abuse, tucking the motor and just pounding the piss out of the boat.

10. Member
    How concerned would you be about these cracks if you were in the market to buy. This is on a 2008 200 elite that i am very interested in.. very hard to see in the pictures but they are hair line cracks that span about 18 inches
    Attached Images Attached Images

not very...solid gel is easy fix. Looks like big water pounding like others mentioned...the gel was so much better in the 90's!
    And then this happened....https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...f/01-20895.pdf
    Last edited by 95202DCX; 04-29-2021 at 08:52 PM.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

12. Member
    I looked at a few when my buddy wanted his 203. EVERY one had these. If you run big waves, it'll happen to ALL of them. A big vessel has to "give" somewhere, the gel is where it happens. Have it inspected by a qualified person and get their input. I can't tell you how many people at the boat ramp have told me they have zero..., I crawl under and find them EVERY time, no matter the make. Big waves and/or bouncing on the bunk boards on the trailer after hitting a pothole will do it. Personally, they don't "bother me", unless there is other signs of movement or they are large enough to get past the fiberglass/resin. They are on my 206 and it has been meticulously maintained since new.
    Champion 206
    250XB

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtsmoto View Post
    How concerned would you be about these cracks if you were in the market to buy. This is on a 2008 200 elite that i am very interested in.. very hard to see in the pictures but they are hair line cracks that span about 18 inches
    These could also be from fishing around timber and the hull getting on top of one.

I'm no expert but those look like impact stress cracks.

15. Pat Goff
    That would never be a wave impact, that's a trailer bump. Still nothing major at all.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

16. Member
    THAT WOULDNT KEEP ME OUT OF A BOAT I LIKED ESPECIALLY A CHAMP AS STATED YOU CAN FIX THEM WITH A LITTLE WORK
    SINCE THEY DONT MAKE CHAMPIONS ANYMORE ONE DAY THERE WILL BE NONE FOR SALE

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynew View Post
    THAT WOULDNT KEEP ME OUT OF A BOAT I LIKED ESPECIALLY A CHAMP AS STATED YOU CAN FIX THEM WITH A LITTLE WORK
    SINCE THEY DONT MAKE CHAMPIONS ANYMORE ONE DAY THERE WILL BE NONE FOR SALE
    If you yell, they will usually knock down the price too. Works great.