86 Bass Nautique restoration

Afternoon fellas, new member here and sure wish I found d these forums a while ago. Bought a 1986 bass nautique last July for $1500, trailer included, with a running 1984 johnson 140 v4. It had been completely painted with white paint and a roller (not the hull) wired with house wire by a 4 year old best I can tell, rotten floor, rotten stringers, a complete mess. I never did take pictures of what it looked like, didn't want to be reminded.

So now, all paint was stripped, repainted a smoke gray, stringers and floor replaced, all house wiring from everything except motor and gauges ripped out and replaced with proper tinned marine wire with shrink connectors, new fuse block, disconnects and breakers.

Also all new pumps and plumbing, refiberglassed the lids, fixed all imperfections on the cap, and painted all my chrome flat black. I think the black on gray is gonna look great once the stainless screws go in. I'm sure I'm missing g a bit, but thats most of it. All I have left in to install the bilge blower, install my carpet and figure out what trolling motor I want. I can't wait.

I included a few pics here, not the best, but you can get the gist of what I have going on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Keep the info and pictures coming. Love to follow these threads, especially since I don't have the nerve, money or experience to do them.

Same here keep it going and show us your progress.

4. Banned
    Nice project should have a good look to it when done...I remember fishing against a big fella in a Bass Nautique many moons ago in the area...might be his rig because there isn't many around these parts if any at all.

5. Member
    Yeah all my years on the water I've never heard of or seen a bass nautique. I bought it off a kid who had it at Johnsons pond. That means there's another one festering somewhere in RI? I'd love to find that guy just to see it.

6. Member
    20220402_190206.jpg20220402_190240.jpg

Update fellas, so here's the finished product, for now. O e thing I've learned, I suck at carpet. The lids came out amazing, but the flats just are not perfect at the cuts. I mean it looks great but what a job. Aside from the 2 elite 7 HDI s I haven't installed, everything in the hull is finished minus little details such as cleats and other minor items.

I did have to rebuild the carbs, found that out on her Maiden voyage when she fell on her face under throttle. Also found out she wasn't charging the battery so replaced the rectifier/regulator. Next time out she was cooking at about 45, and that wasn't WOT, wanted to get easy but man this johnson 140 sings. Pig on fuel but runs better than expected. Added the minnkota maxxum 70 lb thrust to compliment the front.

Only issues left is I did discover some transom rot underneath the rear swales. I can actually feel it from the bilge area. Not bad, probably remove the rot, kill the fungus and fill with epoxy. Other issue is the ol johnson does not want to fire up after she for a stretch. Really annoying and could be one of 100 things after research. If any of yall had this problem and found a fix, please let me know.

So. $1500 initial investment, I have just under 3K in it, and I couldn't be happier with the near end result. Not a 60k bass boat, but it does almost everything they do. As far as I'm concerned, I saved quite a bit. And I'd do it all over again.

I owned that same model for several years. Mine was blue and white and is in Maine now and still floating.
    That boat should be rated for a 150 it was a rocket on the water

8. Member
    I remember a couple of guys at Santee getting those boats back in the day. Both had 150's on them.

Always thought the hull design looked unique, seems like another company splashed a pretty close replica a couple of years later. I never got the chance to ride in one, but they were happy with them.

9. Member
    Now that I think about it, I think Raycraft splashed that hull, seems like I remember it being almost identical
    Last edited by c rig; 04-05-2022 at 11:47 AM.

10. Member
    The motor actually has a 150 lower unit on it, I guess they did that to some models that year from my research on my moder and serial #s.

The hull is certainly unique, a deep v but not really. Also the swales on the sides where it meets the transom, looking down the line it just looks like it would cut right through the water, and so far it does.

11. Member
    Sorry double post...delete this one
    Last edited by rchavis; 05-14-2022 at 10:03 PM.

12. Member
    What is the green stuff you fill the holes at the bow.
    I have a few holes where over the years different motors was install.
    I am install a new TM to me and the old holes don't match. Would like to find something local to patch the holes before installing TM.
    They will be hide underneath.
    I have to drill new holes and would like to stuff the bow back ,before drilling new ones.

13. Member
    If I recall my history correctly. Bob Ackerbloom and Lenny Jones @ Gambler acquired a couple hull molds from Ski Nautique

14. Member
    This hull was also built by Raycraft boats in San Augustine, Tx and Thunderbolt out of Athens Tx.