Unhappy Wheel Bearing Question

My trailer came with oil fill hubs. I ran them for 18 years without any bearing issues (ever). Last winter I decided to change out all the bearings and seals do to the age. As it turned out one of the oil fill set screws on one of the rear hubs had rusted really bad, to the point I couldn't get it out. Long story short, I ended up converting the rear wheels to grease.

I've ran the trailer for a little over a month. No signs of grease on the inside of the wheels. When I changed them over to grease I went with a bearing buddy that has the blue ring. Well, they fit really really tight inside my wheel hub opening, so last night I changed to a different bearing buddy with a smaller OD.

When I removed the bearing buddy's with the blue ring, water had got into the hub and milked up the grease. I tore them down, re-packed the bearings and put the other type bearing buddy's on.

My question, there was no inner seal leak, (no grease on the inside of the wheel) no sign anywhere that water was getting into the hub. Where could the water of got in?? Could it of came through the bearing buddy?? I added grease just like the instructions said to set a slight positive pressure.

I've done bearings for years, and I was shocked when I saw the water......

2. Member
    I had one that let water in through the spring mechanism/blue seal.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

3. Member
    Thats what I'm wondering maybe happened

I cant find a seal to hold hybrid grease in one of mine.
    The one from boatmate with speedy sleeve didn't work.
    Any ideas?

5. Member
    Depending on the year of your trailer depends on whether it used oil or hybrid grease. For sowenssw, I would recommend having someone drill and tap a new hole for a plug in your messed up rotor and stick with oil. If you get new rotors, get them with plug holes for oil bath. On either oil bath or hybrid grease types, a common problem is being sold wrong inner seals. The WRONG seals for these types that use a replaceable wear sleeves is a 2.56"x1.71". The RIGHT seal for these is a 2.56"x 1.68". The difference in these seals is very slight, but it is important to stop the leaking. Be sure the seal has a second (double) lip. Always replace the wear sleeve also. Be sure to find a proper tool for installing them! I have converted rotors to use with hybrid grease if your spindle is not drilled for it, but it is a real pain! These 2 systems are superior to regular grease and bearing buddies. I can explain why if anyone is curious.

Thanks, mine is hybrid grease and trying to keep it like that do to the fact ive never had any trouble.
    Ill check into which seal i ordered last time.

Seems tuff to find a 1.75 ware sleeve.
    Most are 1.68.
    Any ideas?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk5 View Post
    Depending on the year of your trailer depends on whether it used oil or hybrid grease. For sowenssw, I would recommend having someone drill and tap a new hole for a plug in your messed up rotor and stick with oil. If you get new rotors, get them with plug holes for oil bath. On either oil bath or hybrid grease types, a common problem is being sold wrong inner seals. The WRONG seals for these types that use a replaceable wear sleeves is a 2.56"x1.71". The RIGHT seal for these is a 2.56"x 1.68". The difference in these seals is very slight, but it is important to stop the leaking. Be sure the seal has a second (double) lip. Always replace the wear sleeve also. Be sure to find a proper tool for installing them! I have converted rotors to use with hybrid grease if your spindle is not drilled for it, but it is a real pain! These 2 systems are superior to regular grease and bearing buddies. I can explain why if anyone is curious.
    Thank you for the information! I'm going to look into doing exactly what you recommended. I'm going to check the size of my seals. After I replaced all 4 seals (and all the bearings and races) I bought 2 extra set of everything for spares to carry with me. I will look and see what size the seals are I got. I don't believe I have replaceable wear sleeves. Mine appear to seal directly to the spindle. The trailer is a 2003 Custom Line.

9. Member
    I drilled and tapped my original rotors that came with bearing buddy grease caps and converted to oil 18 years ago. Never have had a problem. You need a NPT tap and stainless steel plug.
    2001- 21XDC-300r
    Pete.