Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whats the deal with Power Pole Lights??

I see there are now at least 3 options out there, with prices all over the place with no apparent reason as to why.

RMP (Russel Marine) Power Pole Light @ $80
    HOE (Hennessey Outdoors) Power Pole Light @$120
    Hydrilla Gear Power Pole Light @ $250

Are there any other options out there? DIY or otherwise? Does anyone know why Hydrilla Gear's version is so much more for what appears to be a very basic design?

2. Banned
    I have the RMP light. Works fine but I did upgrade the wiring (20ga to 12ga) before installing.

The RMP light is nice and does the job, plus if you have any issues they will take care of you
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    I have the RMP light. Works fine but I did upgrade the wiring (20ga to 12ga) before installing.
    Why such heavy wire for a light? The issue I see with PP lights is they are not legal or effective unless the pole is up. Like sitting around waiting to go early mornings before light at a tournament. Lots of guys move off to the side and pole down,the light can’t be seen and is not legal then. I was at a tournament once where the game warden was writing tickets for guys not having lights on,to me it’s not worth the risk or money.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Why such heavy wire for a light? The issue I see with PP lights is they are not legal or effective unless the pole is up. Like sitting around waiting to go early mornings before light at a tournament. Lots of guys move off to the side and pole down,the light can’t be seen and is not legal then. I was at a tournament once where the game warden was writing tickets for guys not having lights on,to me it’s not worth the risk or money.
    The wires run through the pole pivot point on the mount and through wash well. Didn't want them to get chaffed from vibration/movement. OEM wiring is single wires (black/red) and I used shielded flat duplex.

6. Member
    I have the RMP light and it works great. If I need to put the poles down at night I just use the one pole without the light.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

Where I fish if you are anchored with it 100' of shore you don't need lights. Not saying I'd do this but many other places spot lock and poles up is how they wait.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    I have the RMP light and it works great. I also have the ability to use the light that came with the boat if the poles are going to be deployed in the scenario that you described.

9. Member
    I could care less if I had to put a pole in the back of the boat, I'd rather have integrated bow lights first IMO. The pole in the back isn't anymore in the way than a power pole is
    Fish have fins, they swim

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Where I fish if you are anchored with it 100' of shore you don't need lights. Not saying I'd do this but many other places spot lock and poles up is how they wait.
    Are you sure? Everywhere I know, anchored <100' from shore, 1 white all around light.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZII View Post
    Are you sure? Everywhere I know, anchored <100' from shore, 1 white all around light.
    Yup. Makes me laugh at all the swim platforms 85' out with low profile and no lights.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    RMP light for the win.. we sell a ton of them.. good people out there at RMP and they take care of there customers. if I powerpole down waiting at a tournament I do the non lighted pole as suggested above.

13. Member
    I haven’t figured out how they are legal. I see boats with them lower their poles before legal safe light. When it is under the water the boater is automatically breaking law without an anchor light.
    Thanks

14. Member
    Big fan of my RMP. Price is right and CS is top notch.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

15. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwest View Post
    I haven’t figured out how they are legal. I see boats with them lower their poles before legal safe light. When it is under the water the boater is automatically breaking law without an anchor light.
    It sounds like you answered your own question. They are legal until you make them illegal... don't lower the lighted PP before safe light. Simple. How is that hard to "figure out"?

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    I see there are now at least 3 options out there, with prices all over the place with no apparent reason as to why.

RMP (Russel Marine) Power Pole Light @ $80
    HOE (Hennessey Outdoors) Power Pole Light @$120
    Hydrilla Gear Power Pole Light @ $250

Are there any other options out there? DIY or otherwise? Does anyone know why Hydrilla Gear's version is so much more for what appears to be a very basic design?
    You are local and I am more than happy to have you swing by to compare quality and brightness... Put the products side by side and you will quickly realize why the current lights on the market have different price points. No different than say a 60 dollar fishing rod vs a 500 fishing rod. Both catch fish however the components used for each rod are extremely different in quality. MSRP on my light is 250. BBC discount is 20 off and free shipping. I designed and tested my light for over a year. Made a few different revision's until I was happy with the end result. I worked with a company who specializes and manufacturers underwater lighting here in the US and is used today on everything from docks, to Yachts.

My light is relatively new to the market. A few dealers who have sold the other brands have expressed positive reviews and are beginning to stock them. So far out of hundreds of lights that have gone out I am proud to say that I have had only (1) warranty due to a bad solder point and have had zero need to send any replacement parts.

Like anything else different price points for different markets/buyers/etc. Just like different price points between Sportsman/Pro/BLADE Power Poles, Fishing reels, boats... It's all the same in my opinion. It is good that we have multiple brands on the market to choose from

17. Moderator
    I was hoping you would reply :)

I did not realize you were local! I moved to lake worth a little over a year ago.

I'll send you a PM and maybe we can meet up so that I can see it?

18. Member
    So when you lower the pole what do you do since you are no longer legal? At least in PA you would not be. (If you only had one pole.)

Ok I read some of the other posts in full. If you have to use your original pole then this light is an extremly extra expensive light that can not be used in all situations. However I have been known to throw money out the window for the cool factor too.
    Last edited by Fx20 2011; 04-30-2021 at 11:18 PM.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    So when you lower the pole what do you do since you are no longer legal? At least in PA you would not be. (If you only had one pole.)

Ok I read some of the other posts in full. If you have to use your original pole then this light is an extremly extra expensive light that can not be used in all situations. However I have been known to throw money out the window for the cool factor too.
    90 percent of the people have 2 poles that are running the light. Its not a cool factor it s a convience factor of not having to put in and remove the pole light. If you have 1 pole and your that concerned about legality then keep running your pole light. If you have 2 then you can just anchor with the one pole while waiting for blast off ... no one cares about bow rotation in the dark. it quite simple people make that a much bigger issue then it is. and at 80 bucks It doesnt fall under "extremely expensive".. You know how many guys I see w 4 graphs on the boat simply trying to look the part and have no clue how use them or rarely use them.. thats what I call an "extremely expensive waste of $$"

20. Member
    I am sorry, but the negative arguments are just a joke. How many times do you actually put your power poles down in the dark when you need a light on? If you are anchored at the dock, no game warden is going to issue a citation. You already have a light pole in the boat if that rare occasion occurs if it were necessary. It's a simple convenience. I bet you have an onboard battery charger which is an overpriced heavy piece of equipment in the back of your boat that robs you of boat performance...because it is convenient.
    Now, on the other hand, how many people have had to wiggle their light pole to get the light to come on or wiggle the actual bulb to get a better connection due to vibration or corrosion?
    I fished a river Thursday evening after work. I had about a 15 mile run back to the ramp. Legal light was fading and I am cruising around 60 mph. I simply pushed the light switch and never missed a beat. I did not have to come off plane, dig out the light pole, connect it, and then resume my run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast