Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lost voltage reading new Helix little help please

On my new Helix mega si di plus 8 gen 4 the voltage doesn’t appear any longer. Anyone know how I can get it back?

What changed from when it did and now doesn't?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I'm not seeing the voltage readings on either one of my Helix 12's either and have been meaning to dig into this. I am hoping it is just a setting. I'm sure Wayne will be able to shed some light on this.

4. Member
    I see the voltage displayed on my new Helix 15. I did nothing to get it to display so I assume it is a default BUT it only reads 10.74 volts. I was concerned by this apparently low reading so I checked the voltage at the battery and at the switch located about 1ft from the Helix15 and I get 13+ volts at both battery and switch. The Helix functions properly so I am hoping its just reading low.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

5. Member
    I had issues with the solix series and low voltage. Same thing as you, 12.5 volts to the power wire of the unit but only 11 to 11.5 volts reading on the screen. I had to cut the power wire pigtail for the unit to roughly 6 inches long in order for the unit to reach 12v on the screen. Its ridiculous the small size wire they use for the power wire pigtails.

Regarding the voltage readings noted above being low, I think some of what you are seeing when testing at the unit is voltage drop due to resistance in the wiring. The longer the run from the power source will result in some level of voltage loss due to resistance in the wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    I see the voltage displayed on my new Helix 15. I did nothing to get it to display so I assume it is a default BUT it only reads 10.74 volts. I was concerned by this apparently low reading so I checked the voltage at the battery and at the switch located about 1ft from the Helix15 and I get 13+ volts at both battery and switch. The Helix functions properly so I am hoping its just reading low.
    The conductor size of the 6' length of the unit power cord is plenty if you connect it directly to a battery.

It's the ADDED splices/connections/and extra wire to connect to the battery that is the cause of the voltage drop=resistance.
    Reading voltage with a meter does not put a load on the circuit (amps) like when the unit is operating.
    It's been discussed on this site dozens of times.

Your issue will be the loaded voltage at 10.74V with a fully charged battery.
    A battery is not like A/C current that is constant, battery voltage drop occurs as the battery is used (discharged). You pretty much have borderline shut-down to even start.
    You overcome that voltage drop with good connections and proper size wiring between the unit power cord and battery.
    You want to start with the unit voltage readout close to what a fully charged battery is==12.6V for a lead/acid.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    I used 10 gauge wire to run to battery. My problem isn't so much voltage as the voltage reading doesn't show up at all!! Everything else, temp, time, speed, depth etc all show up just no voltage reading at all. I tried making every vip visible but still no voltage. Unit is a month old so thought there must be a setting somewhere I am missing.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCHER View Post
    I used 10 gauge wire to run to battery. My problem isn't so much voltage as the voltage reading doesn't show up at all!! Everything else, temp, time, speed, depth etc all show up just no voltage reading at all. I tried making every vip visible but still no voltage. Unit is a month old so thought there must be a setting somewhere I am missing.
    Install the current software for your unit.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    I’ve had my voltage go away a few times. Restore defaults usually takes care of it.

11. Member
    Purchased Helix 9 and 10 late last year with all the bells and whistles.
    I know for a fact both units displayed voltage in the overlay mode last year. I'm sure volts were there because I was concerned about how much lower the Hexlis were showing versus what the battery was. I took both units off the boat and hooked them to a regulated power supply with calibrated volt meter. Yep the 10 reads .7 volts and the 9 .5 volts lower than the supply. Not sure why but they do.
    This year with the latest software neither unit display voltage in the overlay mode and am not sure how or if it can be added? Yes I know it can be added in the "box" mode but that just takes up to much screen for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by MT204 View Post
    Purchased Helix 9 and 10 late last year with all the bells and whistles.
    I know for a fact both units displayed voltage in the overlay mode last year. I'm sure volts were there because I was concerned about how much lower the Hexlis were showing versus what the battery was. I took both units off the boat and hooked them to a regulated power supply with calibrated volt meter. Yep the 10 reads .7 volts and the 9 .5 volts lower than the supply. Not sure why but they do.
    This year with the latest software neither unit display voltage in the overlay mode and am not sure how or if it can be added? Yes I know it can be added in the "box" mode but that just takes up to much screen for my liking.
    You cannot customize the overlay readouts with a Helix unit. Never have had that capability.
    It used to be Depth/Speed/Temp on sonar views, now is Depth/Speed/Temp/Time on the sonar views.
    When in chart views, the Temp is replaced by Coarse direction.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You cannot customize the overlay readouts with a Helix unit. Never have had that capability.
    It used to be Depth/Speed/Temp on sonar views, now is Depth/Speed/Temp/Time on the sonar views.
    When in chart views, the Temp is replaced by Coarse direction.
    Part of the problem/dilemma is both units were used for ice fishing and when ever you switch back and forth all the settings change, bummer. Have not tried with the new software hope someone at Humminbird figures out how to save setting when going back and forth.

14. Member
    I did the current software update two weeks ago and have reset to factory setting. Still no voltage reading. Should I try to install same update again?

15. Member
    Low voltage at bow Helix 15 solved! It was a pita but I ran 10ga wire from the battery to the bow.

While checking the Helix15 after wiring I did notice that my Voltage was not visible in the Overlay readouts(never has been) but was visible when I switched the readouts to BOXES.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    Humminbird Mega360

Low voltage at bow Helix 15 solved! It was a pita but I ran 10ga wire from the battery to the bow.

While checking the Helix15 after wiring I did notice that my Voltage was not visible in the Overlay readouts(never has been) but was visible when I switched the readouts to BOXES.
    Don’t keep me in suspense, what does the H15 read in the voltage box?
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    Don’t keep me in suspense, what does the H15 read in the voltage box?
    Originally it read 10.6v while on the water which is what prompted my concern. After the new wiring it read 12.6v with everything turned on (M360, Ulterra with MDI and Ipilot). Ulterra is on its own pair of AGM batteries but the iPilot and MDI process through the Helix and draw at least some power.

A guide I fished with last week also gave me a tip. Do not run your screen at full brightness (10). Run your screens at 8 or lower and you will save some energy. He does this because he is out all day with clients and has learned over the years that it can make a difference. In my case the difference between screen brightness 10 vs 8 is .6v.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Humminbird Mega360

Originally it read 10.6v while on the water which is what prompted my concern. After the new wiring it read 12.6v with everything turned on (M360, Ulterra with MDI and Ipilot). Ulterra is on its own pair of AGM batteries but the iPilot and MDI process through the Helix and draw at least some power.

A guide I fished with last week also gave me a tip. Do not run your screen at full brightness (10). Run your screens at 8 or lower and you will save some energy. He does this because he is out all day with clients and has learned over the years that it can make a difference. In my case the difference between screen brightness 10 vs 8 is .6v.
    The Helix 15 draws 1.3A less using the screen brightness setting of 8 than it does at the setting of 10.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    Thanks for the information Wayne. I had no idea screen brightness had that much impact on battery life. Having several screens at full brightness all day could be a real problem.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Humminbird Mega360

Thanks for the information Wayne. I had no idea screen brightness had that much impact on battery life. Having several screens at full brightness all day could be a real problem.
    I did the Helix 15 backlighting amp draw test in post #1375 here:

HELIX 9, 10 & 12 Information Reource - Page 69 (bbcboards.net)
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast