Coralville Lake, what am I missing?

So, I moved to Iowa City from Tennessee about a year ago and was kinda excited there was a decent sized lake close. So , I’ve been out a few times to Coralville this month and can’t catch squat ( bass fishing ). I was out yesterday using graphs, side scanning and 360 and really didn’t see anything that looked like what I’m used to as bass setting up for pre spawn. I graphed points, some drops and a couple coves. Matter of fact, I saw very few fish at all, usually large fish scattered in front of some pockets. I like Coralville because it looks like a miniature version of where I used to fish, but man it’s tough. Just wondering if the seasonal movement of bass here may be a bit different than I’m used to. With water in the mid 50’s I figured pre spawn would be on an bass would start grouping around and near points and pockets. Kinda disappointed, I couldn’t even find any schools of white bass. Matter of fact, I only saw one school of baitfish. How can a lake on a river be that barren? Am I missing something being new to Northern fishing?

It has its days.

3. Member
    I wouldn’t feel too bad as I’m not convinced there is a sizable bass population to be had in coralville. Flood control lakes like saylorville, red rock, and coralville seem to be universally tough for largemouth.
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

Quote Originally Posted by reelblues View Post
    So, I moved to Iowa City from Tennessee about a year ago and was kinda excited there was a decent sized lake close. So , I’ve been out a few times to Coralville this month and can’t catch squat ( bass fishing ). I was out yesterday using graphs, side scanning and 360 and really didn’t see anything that looked like what I’m used to as bass setting up for pre spawn. I graphed points, some drops and a couple coves. Matter of fact, I saw very few fish at all, usually large fish scattered in front of some pockets. I like Coralville because it looks like a miniature version of where I used to fish, but man it’s tough. Just wondering if the seasonal movement of bass here may be a bit different than I’m used to. With water in the mid 50’s I figured pre spawn would be on an bass would start grouping around and near points and pockets. Kinda disappointed, I couldn’t even find any schools of white bass. Matter of fact, I only saw one school of baitfish. How can a lake on a river be that barren? Am I missing something being new to Northern fishing?
    Look around for the smaller lakes. Plenty within driving distance that provide some pretty good fishing. Lake McBride is on the other side of a spillway, it has some good days. Good lakes in the Sigourney area, New one up by the quad cities, and the river isn't too far away either.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I grew up in Iowa and as others have said, the Corps lakes tend to be very poor due to erratic water levels, silt, and a general lack of habitat. They even sucked when they were new. The smaller lakes and the Mississippi River are better. Otherwise I hope you enjoy the area.

6. Member
    Yea, I’ve scanned just about that whole lake and I’ve never seen such a barren bottom. That lake could sure use some cover.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by reelblues View Post
    Yea, I’ve scanned just about that whole lake and I’ve never seen such a barren bottom. That lake could sure use some cover.
    All the cover is under 30 feet of silt from the best top soil on planet earth.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    All the cover is under 30 feet of silt from the best top soil on planet earth.
    This would pretty much sum it up. That’s some expensive black dirt at the bottom of that lake

9. Member
    I lived in Iowa for 7 years. What always got me about Coralville was it always looked like chocolate milk regardless if it rained last night or hadn’t rained in 6 months it never changed.