More silly questions froma new ProXs owner

S#1B903358
    M#1150P73HY

My old boat was a 1996 Nitro with a 75hp Merc that I had for 23 yrs; I knew that thing inside and out; every noise etc...

I've had this 2012 Stratos for about a month now and learning it slowly but there's some things I like to bounce off you more experienced folks.

One is, my old motor would crank over like a sewing machine; very fast and start right up; this new one (brand new 1000cca battery and new 3 bank charger) turns over very slowly. It does turn over, and never sounds like it's struggling, just much slower than my old 75hp; and fires in 3-5 seconds of cranking. Does this sound normal?

Second, the old one would have a pee stream within a second of starting; new one doesn't pee for a good 40-60 seconds; normal as well? Water pump was replaced by a dealer last summer; motor has ~55 hrs on it.

Thank you again guys; just trying to learn this new one like I did my old one and I'm not sure what's normal and what isn't.
    I appreciate your knowledge!!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokinal View Post
    this new one (brand new 1000cca battery and new 3 bank charger) turns over very slowly. It does turn over, and never sounds like it's struggling, just much slower than my old 75hp; and fires in 3-5 seconds of cranking. Does this sound normal?
    Sounds just like mine. But, the rest of that trip has much faster starts. First one of the day is always worrisome.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Optimax 2-stage injection is quite different from your old engine. Takes 3 revolutions to build air pressure (then it will light off). Nature of the beast.

Annual Water Pump is a very wise choice.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Annual Water Pump is a very wise choice.
    ^^^^

Since the Optimax is new to you, the telltale does not come from engine cooling system, it is compressor coolant outlet only. Normally takes mine 10 - 15 secs to show. On the compressor, its water supply runs through a strainer that should be checked at least annually, more often if you're fishing debris and/or weed laden waters. Lack of telltale is an immediate concern as it means there's no coolant flowing through the compressor.

Water pump service for the Optimax should always be impeller, 3 gaskets, as well as the plate and housing if they are worn or scored. Shameless plug for the 2.5L FAQ topic - Water Pump Replacement

If you plan to service your engine, you might want to consider obtaining a genuine Mercury service manual from European Marine, best preventive maintenance money you'll spend IMHO.
    Last edited by SilverFox579; 04-29-2021 at 09:48 AM.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Thank you so much everyone! I'm learning more and more and I really appreciate it.

6. Member
    My last engine before i bought my 2016 Z18 175 pro
    xs was a Yamaha so like you i had to get used to all the different noise of the Mercury 1, The slow spin of the engine on startup sounds like a bad battery, I also put new 1000 cca battery, 2, Water pump and thermostats and water pressures i replaced all twice first time just impeller and two gaskets second time i replaced housing all three gaskets and impeller and put the sealer across exhaust port. this helped my pressure i also cleaned my strainer. The 175 Pro XS has more noise i think it is the direct injection, And my engine just had 59 hours on it.