Thread: Kentucky Lake

Kentucky Lake

How has the fishing been on Kentucky Lake, is it getting ay better?

2. Member
    Will give a report after this weekend. Got a club tourney Sat-Sun. I will say this: the lake level is rising, water temp is rising, and full moon this week. Things could be lining up for a good bite. We shall see!

3. Member
    I fished there 4/18 - 4/24. It will be my last time down there. I hope the warming water / water levels / moon is a help for you both. Such a beautiful body of water. We've had some nice trips there in years past. I had heard of improvements but have none to report.

4. Member
    Its fishing quite a bit better this year than the last 3-4 years. Catching 12-15 fish in a day isnt some giant feat. Fished a tourney last weekend and had 17 pounds. Lot more 2-3 pounders which have been non-existent. This is on the south end of the lake. North has been fishing better than the South.

5. Banned
    Water clarity?? Thinking about trying for some SM this weekend

6. Member
    We were on the north end of the lake the last week of March and the lake was fishing much, much better then the past few years. Id say we averaged somewhere between 15 and 20 fish a day, many of which were in the 15-17 inch range. The big fish of the trip was just shy of 5lbs. Not a bad trip considering we were unable to run the lake or fish deeper staging areas due to the rough water conditions and the poor fishing conditions. ( 20+ mph winds, 20° air temp drop, 5° surface temp drop and falling water until the last 2 days) Definitely happy to see the lake cycle trending back up, still has a ways to go before we reach where it was 10 years ago. We're very optimistic about our trip down in June.

7. Member
    So far its much better than the past few years. Last spring was good also so im waiting until summer to make a more accurate decision

8. Member
    Conditions seemed right for good fishing but it was very up and down for me. I caught 17 lbs for best 5 on Saturday, but only 7 lbs with 3 keepers on Sunday. The water was at summer pool and rising slowly, water temps were 66-68, and we were coming off a full moon. I fished Barkley both days, but most of my club fished Kentucky. Everyone caught some fish, most keepers were 2-2.5 lbs. so it was good to see that class of fish which had been lacking the last couple years. Big fish were scarce, but I did have a 5-3 and 5-1 on Saturday. Most fish came on a junebug brush hawg, but I caught several on a 1/4 black and blue swim jig. Our club winner caught his on a craw tube and a senko. The water was in the bushes some and the mustard flowers were covered, but not productive for any of us, though I fished the heck out of them. Most fish came on the first drop out from the bushes or flowers in 4-8 ft. The lakes seem to be fishing a little better than last year.

9. Member
    Fished like crazy to try and catch them in the bushes Sunday, with the little water that covered them. Caught a few, a couple decent ones. They would not eat a black and blue jig, so I changed the color to green pumpkin like I fish back home, and they started to bite. I have lived in Mayfield for a few years, but I’m originally from Mtn. Home, AR, so I never knew the lake any different than it has been the past few years. With that being said, it is better now than it has been since I have lived here. Fished the Legacy Marine tournament a few weeks back and had 3 for over 8 lbs, but missed a few good fish. Also had a really good day a couple weeks ago when the water came up for a few days. Around 18-20 lbs. Take all this with a grain of salt, because I still have a lot of learning to do, and do not know how to fish ledges well. I only fish as deep as 7-8 feet. It is definitely the best I have seen it.