‘13 21HP prop question.

Posted on FB Triton page.. only 2 responses.

Just purchased a ‘13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, Blades, hyd 10” JP. Had a 25p Fury 3 on it.. previous owner says it will run mid to upper 70’s... don’t see it with the Fury, boat is glued to the water with little bow lift. Likes a 25p B&B Tempest in the mid to upper, but will not come out of hole if loaded heavy, no matter PVS plug configuration. I just ran a full maintenance on the engine to include new plugs and pumped all the old fuel out. Gonna give it another try today.

Question: what prop you all running? PTP? Any hole shot issues?
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

2. Member
    Update.. Replaced all the fuel line, bulb, filter, and rebuilt pulse pump. put large pvs plugs in the Tempest.. hole shot is 100x better.. according to the "hole shot" on Vessel View Mobile,, 8 sec to 20 mph and 11 sec to 30mph.. that's gear, driver, 1/2 tank fuel, empty wells. Still only able to touch 73.6 mph.
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

3. Member
    I’m interested as well. I’ve got a 2010 21hp that had terrible hole shot using the 26p fury 3 it came with and as u described, no bow lift. I put on a 4 blade fury 24p and it helped hole shot a bunch, but still no bow lift and 73+mph.

I bought some 2 degree wedges as suggested on here and folks said Triton suggested these with the 21hp
    hull to solve the bow lift issues and to put the bigger end facing down. I gave that info to the shop and when I picked it up the big end of the wedge was up. When I asked why he said he’d never put any on and to just try it that way and he’d swap them if needed.

A 6 hour round trip to do that if I drove right there and didn’t have to wait. In the meantime I’m still waiting for seats to come back that were sent out 3 months ago to even try the wedges, so...I’ll wait to see how you solve this. Maybe you get the temp fix that do what the wedges do and give that a shot and report back?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    I’m interested as well. I’ve got a 2010 21hp that had terrible hole shot using the 26p fury 3 it came with and as u described, no bow lift. I put on a 4 blade fury 24p and it helped hole shot a bunch, but still no bow lift and 73+mph.

I bought some 2 degree wedges as suggested on here and folks said Triton suggested these with the 21hp
    hull to solve the bow lift issues and to put the bigger end facing down. I gave that info to the shop and when I picked it up the big end of the wedge was up. When I asked why he said he’d never put any on and to just try it that way and he’d swap them if needed.

A 6 hour round trip to do that if I drove right there and didn’t have to wait. In the meantime I’m still waiting for seats to come back that were sent out 3 months ago to even try the wedges, so...I’ll wait to see how you solve this. Maybe you get the temp fix that do what the wedges do and give that a shot and report back?
    I’d be pissed to see the wedges on opposite from what you told them. If bow lift is what you were needing, you will not get it with the wide end of the wedge at the top, you just lost 2 deg from factory set up. I use a set of RiteHite trim extenders to test the “more trim theory”. If it works, wedges. I know my TR20 loves an additional 5 deg trim. Will test the same on the HP in weeks to come.

5. Member
    Maybe I can get some help also. I have a 2011 21HP with the same year Merc Pro XS and with 2 people, full load, and a 1/2 tank of gas, I'm looking at 5650 RPMs and 64 MPH. Took it to the local Mercury dealer and they did a tune up, and it's actually a little lower than that now. They also checked the PTP and said I'm good. I can trim my motor all the way up and will not try to blow out and I can take a pretty sharp turn fully trimmed and get no prop slippage. Also running a 26 3 blade Fury. The previous owner said he was getting 74 - 75 with the same setup, 2 people, tournament load and 1/2 tank of gas. He said by himself and the right conditions, he saw 80 MPH a few times. Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I either need the jack plate to come up some or get some wedges or do I have something else going on? I just don't understand what has changed unless the PO was pulling my leg on speeds. Local dealer agrees this boat should be getting a higher RPMs and more speed but his suggestion is to try some different props, I guess I just can't see where a different prop is going to change my speed and RPMs that much. Any idea? I don't even want to run that fast but I want to be able to if I need to.
    Thanks for any help

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ga View Post
    Maybe I can get some help also. I have a 2011 21HP with the same year Merc Pro XS and with 2 people, full load, and a 1/2 tank of gas, I'm looking at 5650 RPMs and 64 MPH. Took it to the local Mercury dealer and they did a tune up, and it's actually a little lower than that now. They also checked the PTP and said I'm good. I can trim my motor all the way up and will not try to blow out and I can take a pretty sharp turn fully trimmed and get no prop slippage. Also running a 26 3 blade Fury. The previous owner said he was getting 74 - 75 with the same setup, 2 people, tournament load and 1/2 tank of gas. He said by himself and the right conditions, he saw 80 MPH a few times. Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I either need the jack plate to come up some or get some wedges or do I have something else going on? I just don't understand what has changed unless the PO was pulling my leg on speeds. Local dealer agrees this boat should be getting a higher RPMs and more speed but his suggestion is to try some different props, I guess I just can't see where a different prop is going to change my speed and RPMs that much. Any idea? I don't even want to run that fast but I want to be able to if I need to.
    Thanks for any help
    I did the PTP measurements and marked my hydraulic JP at 2 1/2 PTP since 90% of the Tritons I know about with Tempest props like to be in that neighborhood. I’ve ran my plate up / down to various settings and I always settle at 2 1/2 for best performance.

I’ve ran a Fury 3 blade in 24 and 25P on three Tritons (TR20, TR21, 21HP). All 3 performed horribly with the Fury. All felt glued to the water, no lift, bow or stern.

it does sound like your engine is low on power and not getting in the rpm range it should be for being a 250 Turning a 26p Tempest. I’m wondering if when our engines were “plugged into computer” at dealership, they were detuned. I have a hard time swallowing that my TR20 w/ 200 ProXS (med-heavy load) will spin my 25 Tempest to 5800 rpm at 67-68 mph and my dads TR21 225 Opti will spin it to rev-limiter and this 250 will not spin it above 5700 w/ empty wells, gear, and me!