Ranger VX1788WT vs Tracker Targa 18 combo

When comparing these two models, it appears to be the same boat? The Ranger has a flush mount console on the bow for a fish finder and the Tracker has wooden decks vs aluminum with Ranger. The Rangers carpet/fit and finish is over all better with nicer rims. However, there is also a 6k difference in price. The hull, motor, performance, etc are all the same. The Tracker is actually rated for a 200hp Merc while the Ranger is 175hp. The most important part, the warranties are literally identical...lifetime on the hull, transom, welds, interior ribs, etc... Not even Lund has a better warranty. The fact you can buy a Tracker with a 200 pro XS for less than a Ranger VX1788 with a 150hp is a little shocking...especially with identical warranties.
    Last edited by j791; 04-28-2021 at 11:41 AM.

2. Member
    There are enough differences if you look close enough. Different transom, fuel fill location, gunnels, storage layout, livewell configuration, windshield, consoles, flooring structure, ladder, cockpit depth, cleats, seat quality, gauges, and fastener and component quality. It was an extra $4k when I bought my 1788 with a 175 Pro XS over the Targa v18 Combo with the same motor.

I guess the transom may be different. The Targa is rated for 200hp with a kicker motor option, the Ranger is 175hp. Today there is now a $6,200 difference in price. Ranger makes you pay $600 if you want a walk-thru windshield so closer to 7k difference if you want a walk-thru. No doubt the Ranger has nicer carpet, recessed foot pedal for the trolling motor...but the storage is about the same...Targa actually has rod storage on both sides of the gunnels plus the one in the center. You could argue the Targa has more storage than the Ranger. The Targa has 6 flip up cleats compared to only 4 on the Ranger. The Ranger has the fish finder to the right of the steering wheel? Not sure what that’s about but most would agree not a great location to flush mount. The one thing I don’t like about the Targa is that it says “Tracker”which immediately cheapens the look. The wood floors are another negative, even though they have a lifetime warranty. But...is it a $7K difference...who knows.
    Last edited by j791; 04-29-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Buy the one that gets your motor running when you see it.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j791 View Post
    I guess the transom may be different. The Targa is rated for 200hp with a kicker motor option, the Ranger is 175hp. Today there is now a $6,200 difference in price. Ranger makes you pay $600 if you want a walk-thru windshield so closer to 7k difference if you want a walk-thru. No doubt the Ranger has nicer carpet, recessed foot pedal for the trolling motor...but the storage is about the same...Targa actually has rod storage on both sides of the gunnels plus the one in the center. You could argue the Targa has more storage than the Ranger. The Targa has 6 flip up cleats compared to only 4 on the Ranger. The Ranger has the fish finder to the right of the steering wheel? Not sure what that’s about but most would agree not a great location to flush mount. The one thing I don’t like about the Targa is that it says “Tracker”which immediately cheapens the look. The wood floors are another negative, even though they have a lifetime warranty. But...is it a $7K difference...who knows.
    I say get whichever one checks all of your boxes. For me, i only fish occasionally, so I was looking for more family friendly features, like the much better flip up jump seats in the rear, the insulated cooler in the floor, the more upscale interior finishes, and the better windshield. I also really disliked the huge TRACKER stickers on the sides of the Targa, I think it really cheapens the look of what is otherwise a nice/tough looking boat.

I don't have any problems with the flushmount fishfinder to the right of the steering wheel. The seat is mounted a little to the right of the steering wheel, which works for me. Yeah, the lack of cleats does bug me, i plan to buy two more matching cleats and mount them just behind the windshield.

I'll also say that based on my experience, don't buy the Ranger expecting the QC to be much better than the tracker.

I agree, the Tracker stickers just kill me. All I think is cheap, cheap, cheap.

I think both boats are good ones and either would serve you well. However, it seems you're already worried about the Tracker name and if you buy one, that nagging doubt won't go away. Get the Ranger. You'll worry about the dollars for a little while, but that'll fade quickly.

Both boats seemed somewhat cramped to me, especially the front deck. For more room for you and your family/guests, might consider moving up to the 1882 VX. The 1882 VX with a standard 225HP engine is a moderate $2800 more than the 1788 VX with a 175HP engine. Also the weight difference between the two is a negligible 150 lbs. so towing shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 05-01-2021 at 06:47 AM.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

8. Member
    I would have reservations buying the Tracker. Tracker has never been known to manufacture a top of the line boat. Many people would have a problem even looking at a used one. Your post makes me think you already think this too but want to save money by buying something cheaper.

I don't want a boat with wood in it. I don't think there are many manufacturers left that even use wood in a boat anymore. For me and many others, that is a deal breaker (think resale)...

If they were the same price, which would you buy --- no brainer. So you do this once in every many years. Buy the Ranger and you will get most of your money or maybe all your money back on a trade in or sale later on...PLUS you bought what you wanted and didn't compromise on quality.

Plus, you will LOOK at the boat a lot and the decal and exterior scheme on the Ranger is definitely classier....no doubt. It just looks modern as opposed to something dated looking.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

9. Mudguppy
    Keep in mind that the Ranger is the Tracker in nicer clothing as Tracker owns Ranger. I opted for the Tracker for several reasons. Additional storage, a little bit longer in the deep V lineup, and I actually wanted the heavier boat because I tend to fish areas where the water can get pretty rough when the wind kicks up. I figure I'll get over the Tracker flag and may even cover it up down the road. The wooden decks tend to offer a bit more sound deadening as well. But. Yes. The Ranger is a better looking boat over all and the interior is a bit nicer indeed. As was said. Go for the one that YOU like. I'm just offering up MY reasons for going with the Tracker.

10. Member
    Go with your gut feeling. Generally its the correct decision.