Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking at switching to Lithium

I currently run 3- group 27 duracell agms from Sam's. I have a Minn Kota Foretrex 36v, 112 lb thrust on a Charger 496.

Looking at the 36V lithiums. What Ah will I need? Will 50Ah be enough? I am not a tournament angler, just bass fish for fun, so long days are few and far between.

Just looking to take some weight out of the boat.

Thanks for your input.

2. Member
    If you don't spot lock, 50 ah should be plenty. I have 65 ah, spot lock a lot, and have plenty of juice at the end of the day. Only had the setup a few weeks, and don't have my battery gauge, but that trolling motor is still powerful at the end of the day. In previous setup, it died with three Interstates.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    If you don't spot lock, 50 ah should be plenty. I have 65 ah, spot lock a lot, and have plenty of juice at the end of the day. Only had the setup a few weeks, and don't have my battery gauge, but that trolling motor is still powerful at the end of the day. In previous setup, it died with three Interstates.
    what trolling motor and boat u have?

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If you fun fish, 50ah i would say it should be plenty, assuming you dont fish in high current and windy areas.

I fish club tourneys and fun fish with a Ionic 24v setup and never been below 50%. Fished one a few weekends ago for 8.5 hrs., more trolling than normal and got home with 70% left over.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    50ah should be a suitable replacement for your 92ah Duracell's
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. Member
    Thanks for the input. I knew you guys could help me.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    50ah should be a suitable replacement for your 92ah Duracell's
    Why is 50 ah lithium > 92 ah lead acid ?
    Not doubting the assertion, just wondering.
    I wonder why an amp-hour isn't a standard unit ?

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    Why is 50 ah lithium > 92 ah lead acid ?
    Not doubting the assertion, just wondering.
    I wonder why an amp-hour isn't a standard unit ?
    you can only use 50% of a lead acid before damaging the life of the battery, a little more on agm but you can use 100% of a lithium without any damage giving you almost double the run time
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

9. Member
    On a 36v Ultrex trolling motor would you use 1 36v lithium battery or 3 12v lithium batteries?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbrock1234 View Post
    On a 36v Ultrex trolling motor would you use 1 36v lithium battery or 3 12v lithium batteries?
    Good question.
    I want the single 36v because of space

11. Member
    You would get space savings with either configuration. The lithiums are smaller regardless of voltage set up... Also have been looking and considering options... Either way would save me weight and space.

12. Member
    I have a 21ft Phx and last week fished a tournament at Roosevelt Lake in AZ. The hours were 530AM - 200PM. Starting at 11 we have sustained winds of 25mph, with gusts up to 50. It was damn miserable by the way. I fished in coves with the wind blowing directly against me, on the TM the entire time. Batteries lasted fine. Battleborn 12V x 50Ah. I really love these batteries. Now if they could only figure out a way to make them work for the big motor.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    You would get space savings with either configuration. The lithiums are smaller regardless of voltage set up... Also have been looking and considering options... Either way would save me weight and space.
    They are smaller if you get 50AH batteries...the 12v 100AH batteries are the same physical size of a size 31 battery.
    Fish have fins, they swim

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redrangeraz View Post
    Now if they could only figure out a way to make them work for the big motor.
    Huh?

Some Li batteries do work with big outboard motors.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    you can only use 50% of a lead acid before damaging the life of the battery, a little more on agm but you can use 100% of a lithium without any damage giving you almost double the run time
    Keep in mind that if you want to charge the batteries from your alternator the Trollbridge 36-Lithium will only work with three 12 volt batteries.

16. Member
    Plus, having 3X12 volt batteries enables one of the three to power 12 volt components if and when needed.

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbrock1234 View Post
    (3) 12v for sure I never recommend (1) 36 volt. (2) 36 In Parallel yes , single 36 never.

18. Member
    Why do you not recommend single 36v? Is it because it would leave no back up in case it dies or craps out?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    Why do you not recommend single 36v? Is it because it would leave no back up in case it dies or craps out?
    Internal failure of 1 X 36 takes out the complete battery. If 3 X 12 and one fails then just that one can be replaced/repaired.

If 3 X 12 then one of the three can be used to provide 12 volt power to some device if needed.

If 3 X 12 then one of the three is available to start the motor should the start battery fail.

Might be other good reasons as well.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Internal failure of 1 X 36 takes out the complete battery. If 3 X 12 and one fails then just that one can be replaced/repaired.

If 3 X 12 then one of the three can be used to provide 12 volt power to some device if needed.

If 3 X 12 then one of the three is available to start the motor should the start battery fail.

Might be other good reasons as well.
    Just to piggy back, if 3 x 12 and one battery goes bad Saturday on the water while you are fishing. You could always run to Walmart and pick up a single deep cycle lead acid to get you thru Sunday, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast