Freshening up a tracker V17

After my dad's passing, his Tiller 85' V17 tracker went to my uncle for 10 years and was put to good use. My uncle has stopped using the boat so I went and picked it up and brought it home.

Plans- Remove the remaining carpet. Re-install carpet on the horizontal surfaces and lids. I am leaning towards sealing the floor and interior sides with either an over deck epoxy type paint on the plywood and aluminum walls or paint with Tuffcoat. I've researched carpet installation, manufacturers and seen various and mixed reviews on many different brands of carpet and my head is swimming with the choices.

I plan on replacing the plywood on the bow , front deck and side storage and rod lockers. These areas will all be re carpeted as well.

I'm overloaded with info on which carpet to choose. I don't need the super expensive 24oz stuff and have some samples of 20 and 16 oz that I may go with. There is just so many opinions on brands and who to order from.

The main floor is plywood which will be replaced. I'm thinking about covering that with something like tuffcoat for ease of cleanup. The vertical sides coming up from the floor are currently carpeted on top of metal. I'm leaning towards painting those areas with something vs re carpeting. Any thoughts , suggestions or experiences with that?

The painting/tuffcoat option is more expensive then carpet when you factor in the 2 primers I need (wood and metal require different primers)

Any thoughts or suggestions for the main cockpit area? I'm just not sure what solution is best and how well the paint/tuffcoat will hold up.

Any experiences would be great. Thanks !
    Brett

2006 180VS Ranger Reata

2. Member
    Put carpet back on the sides, it help to deaden the sound of water slapping against it. The floor, vinyl is an option.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

3. Member
    If you haven't checked out TB Nation on youtube... You should. Tons of restoration ideas and great tips, particularly for aluminum rigs. One thing I am using on some of the vertical surfaces is Gator Skinz soft touch. Nice looking and has a "soft touch" or feel to it. Deadens sound too. Just a thought. Not the cheapest way to go, but pretty slick.