Yamaha OX66 oil alarm

I'm getting a sporadic oil alarm on a 2000 ox66, doesn't happen all the time but has the last two times I've been out. Alarm sounds and after a couple of minutes I'm able to run no problem. Remote tank and engine tank have plenty of oil. Going to change the oil filter under the remote tank first. Any thoughts if that doesn't take care of it?

Thanks
    Chris

2. Member
    Have you verified that it is the oil alarm? Do you have a Yamaha tachometer and what warnings are you seeing on it?

Installing a new filter if a new filter is not needed is known as throwing parts at a problem.

3. Member
    yam911,
    This is a 2000 year model and only had the analog tachs, no flashing led's type tach, only light is the low oil light that comes on while the alarm is buzzing. I cut it off and checked both tanks and each had plenty of oil.

4. Member
    The alarm sounds when a specific wire is grounded. Usually via the float sensor switch closing when it drops due to low oil in the main oil tank. Could be an intermittently failing sensor switch, could be the wire chaffing to ground or could be ...

Is the motor a VX200?

5. Member
    Poor electrical connectivity can also cause the alarm to sound and the CDI to put the motor into RPM reduction mode. Check the fuses and the battery cables for cleanliness and security. Battery cables at both ends. Fuses clean and tight.

6. Member
    will do, it is a vx225tlry. Thanks for the input

7. Member
    Since the boat has a low oil light, did the boat come with a wiring diagram? You might want to simply disconnect the wiring to the warning light on the motor itself. If the wiring from the boat to the motor gets grounded by mistake it will turn on the light, sound the alarm and activate the RPM reduction mode.

8. Member
    Still waiting on the small oil filter, hoping that is it but will also test the sensor and pump. Something has to show up

9. Member
    If the oil tank is filled or above the low level when you stop and check it, because of the horn, it won't be the filter.

The filter can be tested independently for sufficient oil flow.

10. Member
    Here is what you can do.

Drain the main oil tank by removing, cleaning and then reattaching and securing the sight oil sump.

Make sure that the remote tank is full of oil.

Turn the key to the ON position. Make a note of the time to the second.

The horn will sound. The low oil light will illuminate. Wait just a bit. You should see oil start flowing into the main oil tank. When the tank is at the low mark the alarm should stop. The light should extinguish. Oil will continue to flow and fill the main tank.

In less than 180 seconds time the oil tank should be filled. If not, the oil pump will turn off after 180 seconds run time. If the oil tank fills in 180 seconds or less then the pump is fine and the filter is fine.
    Last edited by yam911; 04-29-2021 at 02:27 PM.

11. Member
    ok, will try that first and let you know the results.

Thanks again

12. Member
    oil seems to flow fine. Next I will clean the O2 sensor because I am puzzled

13. Member
    The O2 sensor has nothing to do with any Yamaha alarm.

14. Member
    Yam911,

Put a new oil filter on the remote tank and seems to have fixed it. no alarms as of yet. Thanks for the input