Thread: Hitch Sticking

Hitch Sticking

Good morning, posted this in the Phoenix forum, but thought I'd see what you guys thought as well. Have a new boat, and the coupler goes on great, but does not always want to come off. The folks in the Phoenix forum told me I should pull forward after backing in to release a little pressure, and grease the ball. Actually, I'm gonna get a new ball. That's probably enough, but wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences and/or cures before picking up the boat again.

2. Member
    I block two of my wheels and pull forward slightly when disconnecting.

3. Member
    I had a stainless ball years ago and that wouldn't come out of any coupler. I would have to jack it up and bounce on the bumper to get it out.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

4. Member
    Lubricate the catch mechanism where it slides and where pins are. Triflow lubricant, not wd40 penetrant

5. Member
    If there is any load on the ball it can be difficult to remove. I don't mean weight of the tongue, I mean if the boat is on a slope or against chocks with the truck in Park.

If chocking the wheels and pulling a little forward doesn't work, your hitch coupler could be set too tight and needs to be adjusted.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

7. Member
    just crank the trailer jack up it'll come out before it picks your truck up, or you can move the trailer/boat by hand a little
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

8. Member
    I had to hop on the bumper a little but it came off. Worst case, how is the coupler adjusted?

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    If chocking the wheels and pulling a little forward doesn't work, your hitch coupler could be set too tight and needs to be adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    I had to hop on the bumper a little but it came off. Worst case, how is the coupler adjusted?
    https://www.etrailer.com/question-134607.html
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

10. Member
    Are you parking on the grass? is the area you park flat? the trailer is probly pulling of pushing on the ball making it hard to release.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

11. Member
    All good advice. I have this issue if I'm not on level ground. After blocking the wheels I move up or back (you can tell based on the hitch) just a bit and it will pop free. I would not jump on the bumper. I had a buddy do that and bent his bumper.

12. Member
    I park on asphalt at the boat storage place. It's the same place I parked my previous boat and did not have issues. I still think you're correct. It appears the front of the ball is filed a little, but not the back. Angle could be the issue. Either way, I'm ready to solve. Last trailer was a Ranger, this one is a Phoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    Are you parking on the grass? is the area you park flat? the trailer is probly pulling of pushing on the ball making it hard to release.

Common issue with a tandem trailer.. Unless there is no pressure from any direction its going to bind. That also means dead level with the hitch height.

14. Member
    Lubricant makes a big difference.! I used to coat the ball with Vaseline and install and 1st time you unhook wipe the ball off with a rag to keep you clean. Re-apply frequently and so on

15. Member
    Gonna try triflow and see how it works, I’ll report back
    thanks to all

16. Member
    I'm betting it's not as level as the Ranger trailer was. The new trailer could be just a little taller or shorter and that might be the issue. It won't hurt to lube it up to though.
    2020 Skeeter FXR21
    2020 Yamaha 250 SHO
    Solix 15 - dash
    Solix 12 - bow
    Ultrex
    Sea Clear Power harness

17. Member
    I am 99% sure this is correct. The truck is on 35's, and I have a 5 3/4" drop, but it is likely not perfect. I think the wear I'm seeing is all on the front of the ball. That tells me the truck is higher and I may need a little more drop on the hitch. The Phoenix is easier to get in and out of on the trailer too, so I believe they sit lower. Great point sir.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ Duplechain View Post
    I'm betting it's not as level as the Ranger trailer was. The new trailer could be just a little taller or shorter and that might be the issue. It won't hurt to lube it up to though.

18. mikesxpress
    Keep in mind that when you drop a trailer with surge brakes that the actuator needs to left in the fully extended position. This is best accomplished by inserting the lockout tab prior to backing into your storage spot and it will also aide in removal of the hitch if the trailer itself is stabilized (no pressure on the ball fore/aft) when you jack it up off the ball. I stop on a slight upward slope along my drive, insert the tab, then place a speaker magnet over it to keep it in place. After the trailer is removed, I remove the magnet & stick it on the top of the trailer tongue.