Ultrex to Lowrance interference

I have a problem that recently started and not sure why. Every time I hit the go button on my Ultrex I get a interference line on my Carbon. I am in sidescan mode through Ethernet cable using the transducer on the rear of the boat so not sure why this is happening or how to fix it. But it’s annoying.

2. Banned
    I get it too. Why im going to the ghost. My helix gets vertical lines on si when i hit the pedal.

3. Member
    In case your not aware, there is a fuse inside the head of the ultrex. It is in a very small fuse holder in the brown wire. 3 amp blade type. This fuse can blow if your tm batteries are ever connected to your house battery like to jump start for instance. If the fuse is blown, you will get black lines of interference on your screen every time power is turned on to the trolling mtr. Just remove the 4 philips head screws under the head and find the fuse. Be mindful not to pinch any wires when reinstalling the top. Hope that helps ya, oh and by the way, if your batteries are ever connected the fuse will blow as soon as power is turned on. This includes any jump switch of any type, tight lines

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsturggie View Post
    In case your not aware, there is a fuse inside the head of the ultrex. It is in a very small fuse holder in the brown wire. 3 amp blade type. This fuse can blow if your tm batteries are ever connected to your house battery like to jump start for instance. If the fuse is blown, you will get black lines of interference on your screen every time power is turned on to the trolling mtr. Just remove the 4 philips head screws under the head and find the fuse. Be mindful not to pinch any wires when reinstalling the top. Hope that helps ya, oh and by the way, if your batteries are ever connected the fuse will blow as soon as power is turned on. This includes any jump switch of any type, tight lines
    Even if the TM breaker is turned off or the TM plug is removed ?

5. Member
    The trolling mtr and sonar unit need to be unplugged before using emergency start switch or jumper cables, otherwise the fuse will blow. It happens because of the ground being tied in with the trolling mtr ground, and the house battery ground along with the transducer ground. Sounds complicated and it is. But that’s why it happens.

6. Member
    Hey fellas my post on this is all concurrent to using the us2 transducer or later that is from the factory on these ultrexs’ . It wasn’t in the original thread so I just assumed that you were using it. Should you be using a external transducer, the fuse does not come into play. Sorry for any confusion

7. Member
    I started getting interference on my Helix bow unit out of the blue. I checked and changed the 3a fuse, and it was fine. I installed ferrite rings, moved cables, and it was still there. I thought I isolated the trolling motor from everything, and realized the battery charger was the link between the batteries. I put a small plug in on the cranking battery leads from the charger, plug it in when I charge, then unplug. The graphs were then isolated from the trolling motor. Interference is gone 100%. Don't know if this will help you, but it might.

8. Member
    I did have take my graphs off to move my TM bracket back 1” to make my Rigid bow light fit. I have a 16” carbon and a 12” bar in on a BBT stacker mount and there are lots of wires involved so maybe the routing changed a little bit and things got shifted around. I have those ferrite rings attached at the back of the unit.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis S. View Post
    I started getting interference on my Helix bow unit out of the blue. I checked and changed the 3a fuse, and it was fine. I installed ferrite rings, moved cables, and it was still there. I thought I isolated the trolling motor from everything, and realized the battery charger was the link between the batteries. I put a small plug in on the cranking battery leads from the charger, plug it in when I charge, then unplug. The graphs were then isolated from the trolling motor. Interference is gone 100%. Don't know if this will help you, but it might.
    This is the exact reason I went with a 3-bank AND a single bank charging setup vs. a 4-bank.

10. Member
    I will unhook the charger lead and see if that helps. Thanks.

I had the same problem with my Ultrex and my HDS12S.... nkt sure what exactly fixed my issue but here's the list of things i did....
    Installed 2 ferrite rings (around sonar cable and graph POWER cable)
    Checked mini 3amp fuse (was fine)
    Added dedicated power wire to EACH graph (bow and console) with 12ga wire hooked to PERKO switch and a negative terminal to 1 of my CRANKING BATTERIES
    Also made a short "jump/ground" 10ga wire hooked to 1 negative post on a cranking battery and a negative post to 1 of my trolling motor batteries
    Yes... a heck of alot of work but all worth it with ZERO interference now.... this is a common issue when using the US2 tranducer built in the Ultrex head (is what the customer service fella from Minn Kota)

12. Member
    I pulled the fuses in the wires that go from my cranking battery to the charger so that should take that out of the mix.
    I currently have heavy gauge wire dedicated from my cranking battery to ea of my lowrance units (console and bow).

I also have ferrite rings.
    this setup has been working fine with zero interference until recently. Now it shoots a solid line out both sides of my sidescan screen to the point that it will completely block out the image if I am on the Ultrex button.

I am not using the Transducer that is built into the TM.

I use the sidescan transducer and it is mounted to the bottom of my jack plate.

13. Member
    Any updates? I fought this with a terrova and Garmin SI and now I am having the same issue with my Ultrex/Lowrance SI. I never resolved the Terrova/Garmin issue (ferrite rings, grounded batteries together, separate chargers) nothing worked. 100% speed no issues, it's the PWM speed controller causing the issue.

If I can't fix this issue I am switching to Garmin or Lowrance trolling motor.
    Last edited by Codyl74; 08-02-2022 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added comment

I was able to clear this up on Lowrance Gen2 Touch 2D but when I changed to a Gen3 (with Chirp) the interference came back but not as bad.
    My Buddy had an Ultrex with a Garmin unit on the bow and despite trying all the things you mentioned and some others, we were not able to eliminate the interference. I noted that in addition to Garmin 2D sonar having chirp, the side scan and downscan Did as well. I think it relates to chirp and the fact that it broadcasts on several frequencies as opposed to non chirp which is either 80 or 200. Since there is a broad range of frequencies, the PWM noise is more likely to be picked up. Just a theory though.
    I currently have a Garmin Echomap 10 Ultra with LiveScope and SS/DS/2D on my bow and have no interference from my Ultrex. The difference being that it and the LS module are powered by a 30AH lithium battery in one of the bow compartments.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

15. Member
    Back feed from your charger's connection to the battery's.

Thank you for the charger plug idea . I’m going to try this as it makes sense.

17. Member
    Had the same issue with my Ultrex and Garmin 7cv which uses the Ultrex built-in transducer. Dealer said it was a loose ground. I'll find out tomorrow when I take it out.

18. Member
    @dmy-rt188p any update on the ground issue?

19. Member
    I was never able to get rid of the Ultrex/Carbon interference. After trying everything imaginable I ended up selling the Ultrex and switched to a Ghost. Absolutely zero interference on Carbon or Garmin Livescope. Love the Ghost too.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintworx View Post
    I was never able to get rid of the Ultrex/Carbon interference. After trying everything imaginable I ended up selling the Ultrex and switched to a Ghost. Absolutely zero interference on Carbon or Garmin Livescope. Love the Ghost too.
    Did you have interference on your livescope?