CX20 Tournament Setups

My current setup is a 2021 CX20 Pro, Mercury 250 4 Stroke, 10" Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate, 24P Fury, 2 10ft Talons, 4 AGM batteries, 36v Ultrex, full tournament load of tackle (300-400 pounds), 10 hours on the motor. With 2 anglers and full livewells, this thing is a pig out of the hole. I know that spending an extra $3k for lithiums would help, but that's not an option right now. I'm coming from a 21 ft Ranger with a Yamaha SHO, 4 24P blade Bravo 1, twin talons and 4 AGM's. Same tournament load and it was a MONSTER out of the hole. I'd like to hear from other similar setups what your holeshot is like. My concern is, I run REAL rough water alot (check out the Caymas Freshwater group on FB for a video from last week) and need to carry a tournament load. I'd like to put the Bravo 1 (I still have it) but I am unsure of what hub kit I need (this is my first Mercury motor since 1989). Is anyone experiencing the same issue? Could my hotfoot need adjustment? TIA for any and all thoughts on how to fix this. Otherwise, this boat is awesome (except for the 1990 technology livewell plugs).

2. Member
    you need the flo-torq SSR HD hub kit 8M0101601
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    you need the flo-torq SSR HD hub kit 8M0101601
    Thanks! I thought that's what it was, but with that thing costing ~$150, I didn't want to make mistake. The Yamaha kit is ~$50.....and I have 3.

4. Member
    Apples to oranges with a Fury 3 vs Bravo 4 blade. With your load sounds like a Fury 4 or Bravo 4 would be a good option.

That's funny you mention about the livewell plugs, that's one thing I really like about the boat. The fact you can actually drain them completely.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Apples to oranges with a Fury 3 vs Bravo 4 blade. With your load sounds like a Fury 4 or Bravo 4 would be a good option.

That's funny you mention about the livewell plugs, that's one thing I really like about the boat. The fact you can actually drain them completely.
    The type live well system we have is old but it has always worked better than any boat i have ever had including the Rangers.

I would give Mark Croxton a call and see what he says about adding a couple more vents in your prop and maybe blue print and balance your prop. I have done that several times on the Ranger that i sold in the past few years with that making my customers happy.

My boat is on plane in three seconds flat with two guys, 3/4 tank fuel, live well full and bumping the rev limiter. Now, i don't have pp and i do have lithium ionic batteries. Give him a call i think it would be worth your time.
    With all that said i would check with your dealer to make sure you have full throttle and you have to do that with a computer, head several cases like yours that was not getting full throttle.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post

Yeah, but in order to get the plugs out you have to stick your arm in 40 degree water all the way to your shoulder!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz1 View Post
    Yeah, but in order to get the plugs out you have to stick your arm in 40 degree water all the way to your shoulder!
    use the pumpout...that should drop the water level down to almost empty
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

8. Member

9. Member
    Good idea! This is my first boat with a pump out. I used it twice but forgot it was there when emptying the livewells last weekend. DUH!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz1 View Post
    Good idea! This is my first boat with a pump out. I used it twice but forgot it was there when emptying the livewells last weekend. DUH!
    no worries...it is also helpful to use the pumpout when bagging your fish to weigh in. There's a lot of water in there and you don't want anything jumping out at the end of the day!
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS