2000 200 efi mid range overheating

I've got a 2000 200 efi serial number OT104632. I have replaced thermostats, poppet, impeller and flushed it with some descaler for about 2 hrs with a bilge. I can idle forever and run above 4000 rpm and it does not overheat. But when I run about 3000 rpm plus or minus some rpms it will give me a solid beep. Which is over heating. I run about 2psi on idle and any where between 10 to 15 psi on top end .

I believe it may be poppet but I have put a brand new kit in it. I put it back in just like old one came out. I also bought a new lower unit because my reverse was going out. So that would be 2 new impellers.

Anybody with any ideals I would appreciate it

If need any more info just let me know

2. Member
    mtr on jackplate ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    How about the third top secret gasket below the pump base, may times not replaced but sometimes the cause of these issues. It’s below the piece the water pump mounts on.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    Yes it on jackplate I have moved it way down and no difference. I got a brand new lower unit on it right now. So the gasket shouldn't be the issue.

5. Member
    any idea wpsi at 3000 may have leaking adapter plate gasket /base gasket
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hawksuper1900 View Post
    Yes it on jackplate I have moved it way down and no difference. I got a brand new lower unit on it right now. So the gasket shouldn't be the issue.
    You better pull that water pump and inspect the gasket below the plate- and below the pump base. Better than 90% of the problems we see are from those gaskets. Regardless of "new".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Well had 2 different lower units on it with 2 brand new pump base. I wouldn't think that would be it.

I'm running round 10 psi st 3000 rpms

Bought boat year ago and guy told me they put new base gasket on it

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Josh- I can just about guarantee you that if you will remove the housing, the upper gasket, and the plate: You will find that the gasket BELOW the plate is either:

1. Incorrect for the engine model

2. Torn area between the two passages

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I know it's a long time for reply but I figured I let everyone know what was my issue. After replacing a bunch of different things it ended up being my thermostats. On the third set of thermostats ( 2 oem and 1 aftermarket set ). One of oem fixed my over heating issue. I know it sounds crazy but I have not had another over heating issue. At idle,mid range or rev.

Just thought I post might help somebody else