Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Don's cocktail in almost every tank, DFI oil only, and now 114psi on 2 & 4, 118 psi on 6
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

2. Member
    [QUOTE=XChris1632X;1184871 was told "they all do that if you idle too long.

Remove the wood or replace the thermostat? What next after that?[/QUOTE] id be mad to shame on dealer ,well id claen and flush complete cooling system ,that means gearcase too , and compressor screen ,replace thermostsat and that plug #6 go to the lake for a test run
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Do you have a Smartcraft (Mercmonitor) gauge or Vessel View? If you don't...then you should. It will warn you if you have low temp on one side of the motor (indicating that you have wood/debris in the Thermostat for that side). You should ALWAYS allow the motor to warm up properly before running it hard and you cant see that without a Smartcraft Gauge or Vessel View. You buy a Vessel View and connect it to your smartcraft port under the cowl. Will talk wirelessly to your smartphone using the App. A $200 investment will save you thousands.

4. Member
    thousands and thousands
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basspro57 View Post
    Do you have a Smartcraft (Mercmonitor) gauge or Vessel View? If you don't...then you should. It will warn you if you have low temp on one side of the motor (indicating that you have wood/debris in the Thermostat for that side). You should ALWAYS allow the motor to warm up properly before running it hard and you cant see that without a Smartcraft Gauge or Vessel View. You buy a Vessel View and connect it to your smartcraft port under the cowl. Will talk wirelessly to your smartphone using the App. A $200 investment will save you thousands.
    I have a merc monitor. Everyday I waited until my engine heated up to 130* before I took off. I would only get a temp alarm if I sat and idled for 5 mins or more. If I moved at all around the no wake it wouldn't alarm. This is what caused me to ask my dealer about it and told they all do that.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The good news is that "debris" is not covered under either the Factory Warranty OR any Product Protection Plan (as it's not a defect in the engine).
    I agree 100% - but since it was taken to a shop for repairs, shouldn't "they" have found this. I was just saying it's a shame to take anything to anyone for repairs, only to have to bring it home and fix it yourself.....

I could be wrong but my understanding is the temp you are shown is starboard side, and port side is still monitored. And apparently if you idle 5 minutes and the motor does not make it to 130* it will alarm for a thermostat code (failed to warm up because it is stuck open). If you were to warm up and idle 4 and a half minutes and then take it to plane it did not meet the requirements of idle for 5 minutes so it will not alarm
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Smartcraft gauge coolant temp is a "smart average" of both thermostats. If you get an alarm after 5mins idle time you have a problem and is usually debris in stats.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    I agree 100% - but since it was taken to a shop for repairs, shouldn't "they" have found this. I was just saying it's a shame to take anything to anyone for repairs, only to have to bring it home and fix it yourself.....
    Now that I definitely agree with.

Smartcraft Engine Temp is indeed a "Smart" average (which does often lean toward the STB side as it's the higher-up and often warmer bank). It does not, however just "report starboard temp".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    I have a merc monitor. Everyday I waited until my engine heated up to 130* before I took off. I would only get a temp alarm if I sat and idled for 5 mins or more. If I moved at all around the no wake it wouldn't alarm. This is what caused me to ask my dealer about it and told they all do that.
    Yes...a Merc Monitor gives you an average of the two sides. It is pretty easy to see if you have debris in one (or both) thermostats as it wont ever get up to operating temp. You can identify which one has debris and stuck open by pulling the cowl and feeling the hoses coming out of the T-stat housings with the motor warm and running. One will feel like water is flowing all the time and it will be cold (thats the one with the stuck open t-stat). I just had a buddy with the same problem you describe "was getting up to 130 temp but would get a periodic alarm at idle and go away when moving around". Water pressure was good. I had a new set of t-stats on hand and he put them in. Problem disappeared. You may want to put in a new set of t-stats and see if the warning at idle problem goes away.

11. Member
    Finally got over the covid and got the boat on the hose. Is this normal? The thermostats got tested and worked. Curious if the problem one is leaking some or if I'm over thinking it. Notice how the top of the left thermostat is quite a bit colder than the other one. The bottom is within a couple degrees.

20210516_172925.jpg
    20210516_172918.jpg
    20210516_172908.jpg
    20210516_172843.jpg
    20210516_172830.jpg
    20210516_172815.jpg

Sorry, not sure why they are sideways.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Only accurate measure is right in the middle of the thermostat cover. All the other ones are simply pictures.

Port side is cold- thermostat likely stuck open.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12