Do-It Molds Midwest Finesse Keeper

Poured and painted a bunch of Midwest Finesse Jig Heads this winter. Tried to use them over the weekend and found the keeper was absolutely terrible for use with Elaztech materials. Didn't try it with other materials, but I don't anticipate any better performance. Tried opening up the keeper but that didn't seem to help. In my opinion, keeper is to short compared to off the shelf brands.

Anyone have a similar opinion or any modifications you've made to improve the keeper function on this mold?

Thanks for your assistance!

2. Member
    i just started to use gel superglue

3. Member
    They don’t work with Elactech. By the way screw locks don’t either. I covered the keeper slots with silicone right after I got the mold. Superglue gel is the best keeper you will ever find.

I've never had an issue using them with Elaztech. I think the problem is when guys try to "push" the bait over the keeper like you would with traditional plastics. The way to get it to work--and this advice goes for dealing with Elaztech in general--is to just manhandle it. Specifically what I do is thread the bait up to the keeper, then pinch the part of the bait that's behind the keeper, and pull/stretch it up over top of it. You have to be a little forceful, but it will absolutely come up and once it's on there, it doesn't come off.

Z-Man actually did a video on this that's more general, but that applies very nicely to this keeper, too. Real discussion of how to deal with it starts at 1:45, with the actual demonstration starting around 2:08:
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Thanks for the info. I was really hoping to avoid gluing ned rigs, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Problem is that some Elaztech material gets between the keeper and the hook shank. Use some Sally’s Hard as Nails and put some between hook and keeper, especially at the top where the bait meets the keeper, helps a lot. Did not watch the video.

8. Moderator
    Good tips.

9. Member
    I’ve never had them hold well with the keepers. Good for those who do. I’ve had TRDs and Zeros stay for 2 days with a tiny drop of Super Glue Gel.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I've never had an issue using them with Elaztech. I think the problem is when guys try to "push" the bait over the keeper like you would with traditional plastics. The way to get it to work--and this advice goes for dealing with Elaztech in general--is to just manhandle it. Specifically what I do is thread the bait up to the keeper, then pinch the part of the bait that's behind the keeper, and pull/stretch it up over top of it. You have to be a little forceful, but it will absolutely come up and once it's on there, it doesn't come off.

Z-Man actually did a video on this that's more general, but that applies very nicely to this keeper, too. Real discussion of how to deal with it starts at 1:45, with the actual demonstration starting around 2:08:
    Bingo, never had a problem with them....as mentioned above you just have to man handle them. Pinch the plastic hardcore then pull on it as if you were trying to pull it over the lead head.