Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Favorite Chatterbait Rod

Go back and forth. Use a Daemos with Flouro, and Kistler Blade/Buzz/Chatter with braid. I swear it's like Goldilocks.....Daemos can rip it away from them, and the Kistler can be too soft for grass and hooksets. Looking for new ideas. The Expride jerkbait rod worked out so good, I was considering the Expride MH Glass, but I know there are varying opinions on those. Wanted to see what ya'll are throwing. I know...there's a zillion threads on this, but wanted to see if anyone had tried anything new they liked.

2. Member
    I’ve tried a bunch and finally found one I’m extremely happy with. The Alpha Angler Chatterbound.It has a soft glass tip so the bass can really inhale it good,but shuts off 1/3 of the way down so you can drive the hook home once they have it. I find most of my fish to be hooked in the roof of the mouth as opposed to the lip.It rips through grass easily with a little “pop” .
    My second choice is the Ark B hittay chatter bait rod. More parabolic than the Alpha and better for open water but still plenty of power.
    The sensitivity of the Alpha is great for a composite rod too.

3. Member
    I'm using Expride 7'2" MH glass. It seems great so far for the chatter.

4. Member
    I've tried the Expride 7'2" MH glass, the Dobyns 736 Glass and the ALX Rumble. The Rumble is my favorite... in fact I just picked up another one.

5. Member
    I'm not a big fan of glass rods, so I fish mine on a graphite rod. I'm currently using the Dobyn's Sierra 734c, and for me it's about perfect for what I want in a chatter bait rod.

Second for the Alpha Angler, but I’m using the Rebound. Only had it for a month or so, but had a chance to catch a bunch on chatterbait with it. Loads perfectly and keeps them pinned.

Loomis imx pro 883 bladed jig rod

Tried several but with out a doubt the Dobyns Champion 734 is the best of them all...got rid of all my other Dobyns stuff but this one is just too special for single hook baits to part with.....have three , one for chatterbaits and the other two are for swim jigs and spinnerbaits

9. Member
    Poison Adrena 7'3 MH. Haven't lost a fish

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walleyecrazy View Post
    I'm not a big fan of glass rods, so I fish mine on a graphite rod. I'm currently using the Dobyn's Sierra 734c, and for me it's about perfect for what I want in a chatter bait rod.
    X2! I do have a glass tip cranking rod coming to try out, more for cranking though. Think the Dobyns Sierra 734 is a great rod for this technique.
    Last edited by bigfoot17; 04-27-2021 at 06:58 AM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    Tried several but with out a doubt the Dobyns Champion 734 is the best of them all...got rid of all my other Dobyns stuff but this one is just too special for single hook baits to part with.....have three , one for chatterbaits and the other two are for swim jigs and spinnerbaits
    The 734 is a special stick for sure

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I've thrown a chatterbait on every Megabass (XX, Destroyer), Loomis (E6X, GLX, NRX), St Croix (Avid, Extreme) and Dobyns (Sierra) that I own/owned and haven't found anything that beats the Gen 1 XX Diablo Spec-R just yet. I've just added a P5 Dark Sleeper to the arsenal and I'm looking forward to trying a Jackhammer on it.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

13. Member
    My GLX 844MBR is typically my Jackhammer rod.

14. Member
    I throw a ALX deputy up shallow around light cover. Good tip for skipping a chatterbait and has enough backbone. If I am fishing grass, I use a Shimano Expride 7'2 MH (Not the glass one). I use Flouro exclusively and I dont have some monster hookset. I never had an issue with them coming unpegged.

There are so many good ones out there across the price spectrum - everything from those who like a heavy moderate glass rod or a more traditional medium heavy fast type action and everything in between. Obviously, vibrating jigs come in a variety of sizes, but for sake of this discussion, 3/8 oz to 1/2 oz are the "most common" sizes. I've fished a bunch of chatter bait rods and some of my currently available favorites include:

Megabass P5 Madbull - heavier cover/weeds
    Megabass P5 Blade - lighter/normal cover

Daiwa BLX 74MHRB - great deeper flexing, powerful responsive rod - great distance casting rod
    Daiwa Rebellion 610MHRB - nice power, handles 1/2 oz around cover very nicely - VERY UNDER RATED SERIES IN GENERAL!
    Megabass XXX Super Orochi - awesome target casting rod, excellent power and flex - also not as well known a series as it should be...

16. Member
    Forgot I also use my Cara Reaction swim jig rod for Jackhammers.

17. Member
    This has my interest. Along with the 734 and the Expride. And the ALX's. Great info here guys.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaillusion View Post
    Poison Adrena 7'3 MH. Haven't lost a fish

I use a Megabass Levante Diablo Spec R. I think it works very well for bladed jigs.

19. Member
    Expride 7”2 glass has been the best all around chatterbait rod for me .
    It’s light and extremely balanced compared to lots of other rods that I have tried.

Loomis NRX 853C. have not found another rod better for 3/8 to 1/2 oz chatter baits. The fish stay buttoned and it has plenty of power

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast