Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    7'4" Tatula Elite Howell Bladed Jig/Big Topwater rod. Awesome for chatterbaits!

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bass1 View Post
    While I prefer the Dobyns Champ 734, I have used the rod you are talking about and you are right it is great for chatterbaits along with spinnerbaits and swimjigs also

3. Moderator
    I'm an odd duck here, I like a Loomis CBR847....(heavy moderate)

4. Member

5. Member
    I have a MB Valdivia sitting around. I use it for big frogs, and tx rigs, and honestly, never really found a good application for it. I have better options for both those things. I realize it's know for being stout, but I've always thought it had a fairly soft tip for a strong rod. Ripping Tx rigs thru hydrilla I noticed the rod loads a little...then it's powerful. I may try it for 1/2 oz chatters? Longshot, but sometimes those hit. I'll report back on it this weekend. Daemos does ok, just missed a few so looking for the "perfect" fit.

Of course I waited too long on some of the rods I was looking at on TW. They're on backorder now. I have time to experiment.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    I'm an odd duck here, I like a Loomis CBR847....(heavy moderate)
    I wish I could fine a couple of those.

If you like a glass rod... check out the ALX Rods ZOLO Rumble. It's a phenominal rod. Review from a BBC'er...

Spent all day throwing the ol' chatterbait (3/8ths Elite with Hogfarmer spunk shad & 1/2 oz Jackhammer & Thunder Cricket with zako), paired with the previous generation Tatula SV TW. Compared to the other glass rods I've used (and even the other 'cranking' composite ones), the Rumble performs above the price tag, and I think ALX has a 'good un'.
    A lot of glass rods leave baits like a chatterbait feeling 'mushy', to deaden the thump and torque, at least in my experience. The Rumble feels like a counter to that, allowing you to feel every subtle thump. From deflecting the Jackhammer off of cover to grass getting into the decoy snap, it all feels distinct and identifable, allowing you to know what's going on with your bladed jig regardless of situation.
    A huge selling point that will likely be overlooked will be the weight. It balances well with a myriad of reels (I went with that Tat SV because of the spool), and even fishing it hard all day, you don't FEEL the fatigue you get from other glass rods (the mythical 736CB, anything from Japanese companies made for a Jackhammer). And unlike those longer rods, you can roll cast and hit your spots with ease. I've even been throwing 1/2 oz spinnerbaits with a big colorado and 1/2 oz swim jigs, and running and gunning with this rod is an afterthought because of how light it is.
    I've been happy with all of my ALX Zolo rods, so you can go ahead and call me a homer. But this one is really special. I've spent over a grand going back and forth and back and forth, trying different rods and trying to find something that doesn't interfere with how I fish (from a kayak) and doesn't wear my butt out. This one is a joy to fish, has been worth every penny, and is gonna slide right next to your Zolo Toadface as two of the 'special rods' that ALX produces.

8. Member
    Orochi XX Diablo Spec R

9. Member
    I use a Dobyn's Fury MH Crank. Works great. Can be extremely accurate with it and it skips the bait very well. I just believe high end rods for moving baits is a waste of money. Just my opinion.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

10. Member
    Loomis 883 and Ark Grinder ! Obviously I prefer the Loomis but for 129$ the Ark is a great chatterbait rod !

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bass1 View Post
    I use the same rod for my heavier chatterbaits with crawls or Zako's matched with 16lb Sniper. Magic! Does awesome with heavier spinnerbaits too.
    For slightly lighter, with smaller paddle tail trailers I really like the Megabass P5 Destroyer Dark Sleeper. Incredible rod under load!

12. Member
    Falcon Chatterbait rod - Expert 6-610
    2020 - Ranger 520L Midnight Fox | Mercury 4S 250 - Go Boldly! | Atlas Jackplate | Ultrex | Lowrance Active Target | Power Poles !!

13. Member
    dobyns Champion 734
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

14. Member
    I was surprised/impressed with the Valdivia. For a stout rod, there is a fair amount of tip so they can get the bait. But you can cross eyes with it, and it's great in grass. Would not go under 1/2 oz, probably even better with 3/4 oz. Fishing Kissimmee this weekend, so that'll be a good test for it.

15. Member
    I love my iRods but really, I think my old Skeet Reese Spinnerbait/worm rods were the best I've ever used. My iRods are too stiff and I hate glass rods. The closest in feel to that skeet rod is the Dobyns 705CB Fury and even Colt, both graphite.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

16. Member
    7'3 MH Adrena, I've caught over 100 fish on it this year. I've lost maybe 2-3 but those were my errors for bad hook sets.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I've thrown a chatterbait on every Megabass (XX, Destroyer), Loomis (E6X, GLX, NRX), St Croix (Avid, Extreme) and Dobyns (Sierra) that I own/owned and haven't found anything that beats the Gen 1 XX Diablo Spec-R just yet. I've just added a P5 Dark Sleeper to the arsenal and I'm looking forward to trying a Jackhammer on it.

I tried the dark sleeper and unfortunately, I think the tip is too fast. I found myself ripping the bait out before they could eat it.

18. Member
    I've been having good luck with a Loomis IMX Pro 903 MBR

ALX Hustler

20. Member
    Lot of high dollar rods listed here.

I'd try a BPS Crankin' Stick 7'-0 medium heavy. $60 last week. $80 now. It'll do what you need except burn up your credit card.

30 lb Power Pro, 20 lb big game leader.

Throw it in the right place and you'll catch fish.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast