how to make a skirt bloom

is there a way to make a skirt bloom more, i like a thin skirt so i take on tab and split it and tie it facing forward to get it to puff but i want me for my swim jigs. think round rubber with silicon would help

Thread or wire tying it can be accomplished really easily, a band it's going to require two bands. Basically just attach it like you normally would, then pull ALL the material up over the head (away from the bend of the hook) and wrap underneath or put a band underneath (on the hook bend side). The further up you wrap/band it, the more it will flair.

I learned this technique tying hair jigs when I was super into fly fishing. I would commonly have my second set of wraps almost as far up as being over top of my first set, especially if I was using "flowy" hair or feathers; skirt material is flowy enough to where that's probably where I would start if I were trying to get it to flair more. You could go up even further if you wanted, though at some point all the material is going to be sort of stuck forward over the head.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Drew right now i am tread tying them but the skirt wants to lay to tight to the swimbait

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Thread or wire tying it can be accomplished really easily, a band it's going to require two bands. Basically just attach it like you normally would, then pull ALL the material up over the head (away from the bend of the hook) and wrap underneath or put a band underneath (on the hook bend side). The further up you wrap/band it, the more it will flair.

I learned this technique tying hair jigs when I was super into fly fishing. I would commonly have my second set of wraps almost as far up as being over top of my first set, especially if I was using "flowy" hair or feathers; skirt material is flowy enough to where that's probably where I would start if I were trying to get it to flair more. You could go up even further if you wanted, though at some point all the material is going to be sort of stuck forward over the head.
    i think i am understanding what you are saying i will give it a try

I probably didn't do the best job describing it, but if that makes some amount of sense I think you'll get a feel for it pretty quickly when you sit down and start fiddling with it. Good luck!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    Thread tension on the silicone skirt strands will cause it to flair . Instead of using thin fly tying thread get some nylon upholstery thread and wrap it on tightly . You will see a big difference .

7. Banned
    If you pour your own jig heads after you trim and clean them up take your gate shears you trim the lead with and make a small groove around the color neck without cutting through to the hook shank then when you powdercoat the jig head the powder coat will make a smooth groove around the neck. Use upholstery thread 135mill is 5he best to use to tie your finesse jigs with either silicone or fine round rubber. Or both together.
    It makes a nice lion collar finesse skirt.

8. Member
    Is this what you are looking for? https://barlowstackle.com/-Skirt-Umbrellas--P823/

9. Netman extraordinaire Coosa Redeye's Avatar
    Wire wrap the skirt on the jig. Turn the jig hook up, so all the skirt folds forward. Wire wrap the jighead up against the skirt strands. This will cause the inner strands to flair more, and not lay on the swimbait.
    2015 Nitro Z8
    2015 Mercury Optimax 250
    2019 Chevy Silverado

I use O-Rings for skirt collars. I add a second O-Ring behind, after the skirt is on and adjusted. It flares out the skirt well.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

11. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Here is the way I like a skirt bloom.... lol

Attachment 453971
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    Here is the way I like a skirt bloom.... lol

Attachment 453971