Thread: Hard Decision

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I do want to say publicly thank you to Bass Cat and Rick for taking the time to respond. I am extremely frustrated is why I got to this point, I felt I was at a point where I had know where else to go. I stand by I was not trolling and as BCB has stated I have reached out well before today. I reached out this morning to them and left my info. I did not just jump to this level of going on here. I will apologize for how I worded things. This whole thing is not BCB's fault there are multiple factors in play, but it was definitely not just 1 thing on their end either. It has kind of been death by 1000 cuts is my feeling. It's the total cumulative effect. I know which are which and the ones I'm frustrated the most by BCB knows. I sent most of the story to BCB (to Rick) about a month ago. I have talked to them since then as well. Some of the biggest frustrations was the inability to get the answer on some questions. The dealer didn't really have an answer so I reached out to BCB something that was said to me was the catalyst to this (I thought it was a misunderstanding on my part, but another post said basically the same experience) and that brings it to where we are now.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostone View Post
    I do want to say publicly thank you to Bass Cat and Rick for taking the time to respond. I am extremely frustrated is why I got to this point, I felt I was at a point where I had know where else to go. I stand by I was not trolling and as BCB has stated I have reached out well before today. I reached out this morning to them and left my info. I did not just jump to this level of going on here. I will apologize for how I worded things. This whole thing is not BCB's fault there are multiple factors in play, but it was definitely not just 1 thing on their end either. It has kind of been death by 1000 cuts is my feeling. It's the total cumulative effect. I know which are which and the ones I'm frustrated the most by BCB knows. I sent most of the story to BCB (to Rick) about a month ago. I have talked to them since then as well. Some of the biggest frustrations was the inability to get the answer on some questions. The dealer didn't really have an answer so I reached out to BCB something that was said to me was the catalyst to this (I thought it was a misunderstanding on my part, but another post said basically the same experience) and that brings it to where we are now.
    Totally understand. Situations can be a mess sometimes.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Items like this come up and people have since the Correct Craft indicated things have changed. However, most of the same people are here and more newer ones added. Just last week we spent time on the consumer experience being the difference in any product.

Inside we have Richard in Service, and he’s been there many years, Allan continues in Parts, Stuart is the Production Manager, Dorry is still in Clothing, Daylon has been added to oversee Pts, Serv. & Warr and Clothing. Jackson replaced Jason as Sales Director, as who now has the SE territory of Arkansas straight east. Nathan was added last month as Operations Director, and he was a Bass Cat owner many years in California. Evan is over Purchasing and literally grew up with Dad in his Bass Cat, just as Jackson has his families Pantera Classic. The last three are all in their 20’s as we rebuild. Cody came in 6 years ago and is VP of Finance and Admin. Heather in HR fished every trip in their Puma FTD before her role at HR Director. Others under those people

Ivan did retire in his 70’s and it won’t be long until Allan will retire and slide into a part time role in parts. He still feels like all of you are his, “my people” as he’s forged relationships and expectations over the last decade.

The Sales Managers chair and a Media chair are still open and we are actively pursuing people to fill those roles.

All of that is still under my authority, as it has been for decades.

Quite honestly some things have changed, though not really what folks feel has. For us expectations have changed. As our base grows, people also have improved the amount of direct support and service they expect from us. We have seen those expectations change. Often because they lack dealers service centers beyond the outboard engine. Thankfully all of this is changing today and technical service centers are springing up that will manage electronics, trollers, carpeting and more.

We simply can not provide service to all of the tens of thousands of boats we have built, that’s simply an unrealistic expectation. We try to do things here that dealerships can not. However we also see people wanting things done which we simply don’t have the staff and facilities to perform. Which is why we have dealerships. Quite honestly, Dropping a boat off to have a seat mounted, a worn tire swapped, a lid seal replaced or many items we see on a regular basis we are simply limited on ability due to the sheer volume.

Then we have the ‘favor’ items that “while it’s here”, swap my trolling motor out, replace my graph, add this widget. We don’t build these items and they are not ours to install. To some they forget we are not an aftermarket dealership, we build boats. Often times our staff knows how to install a trolling motor on a 2021 model, however they may not know the wiring, charger or items on a 1995 model. Many of these people were not born when your boat was built.

GelCoat work is another tedious one where we only have a few trained staffers, and we simply do not have the staff or the room. Shucks we know everyone is overloaded with quality people today, and we are no different. We have limitations and we try to manage those daily. We have added two new young staffers into repair training, even then they won’t be up to speed quick, and when they are we won’t be able to do every scratch in your Gelcoat.

Have things changed, quite possibly they have, though it’s not staff and it’s not a lack of intent here. Every day we try to keep outperforming our competitors on taking care of the Bass Cat and Yar-Craft family.

Thank you,

Rick
    Keep up the good work. Bass boat of the year for a reason. My experience has been amazing with both Bass Cats I’ve owned.

To the original poster, good luck. We all hope you can find the boat you’re looking for. You’ve got to do what’s right for you.

My next boat will be another Bass Cat.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    There's a post on the Nitro board with a guy going off on Nitro. Turns out, every problem he has but 1 is with some other company's product.
    and that one can be fixed in 25 minutes for 100 bucks, its kinda sad
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    At the end of the day, BCB always provides their customers with top notch service and answers so that issues are resolved. Thanks Rick for always willing to listen and respond. Cats RULE!

6. Member
    I'll go the exact opposite way of the OP. I have the same boat as the OP too. I searched and searched multiple brands to find the boat I wanted. I rode in a single Basscat multiple times and saw the workmanship first hand. I drove 7.5 hrs to pick up my boat and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The ability to work on my own boat was a priority to me and Basscat provides that with the layout, the access to wiring and the support of their staff.

Now is my Classic perfect? Nope. Some of the trim isn't perfectly aligned, there's no lights in the boxes, etc, etc. But I knew those things when I picked it up. I'll never fix that trim, it's not a big deal. I will put the lights in at some point, but I'll do it myself so I have it just the way I want it. And I'll do it with confidence that if I have a question I can talk to a real person who will answer it.

Name another boat manufacturer that writes you a personalized letter when you purchase. I don't think you'll find one. Rick and everybody at Basscat, you made a Basscat owner for life here and I wear that monogrammed jacket with pride.

7. Member
    I want to remind my fellow BCB owners, before we jump on the OP, (or anyone else) do a search of their thread posts.
    Very quickly I could see the OP had a new model Pantera Classic. He was not a troll.

Always offer help to a frustrated BCB owner.
    It could be a dealer issue, parts supplier, and many times either a misunderstanding or fault of the boat owner. (without the owner realizing it)

From Ricks post, the company is very busy with new names and faces coming aboard. I have met a few of them and I can say the companies future is in good hands. BCB's culture will remain along with their goal to remain best in customer service.
    They are trying to accomplish this during a pandemic and a demand for boats not seen in decades.

Can an issue fall thru the cracks and get missed? Most definitely.
    Not all dealer are equal in Service or experience. This can have an impact on an owners opinion of BCB when problems arise.

Has there been trolls post on here? Of course.
    I have seen a few owners (get on here or the Owners Board) vent and blow steam about BCB, and once the issue actually surfaced, it was the owners fault, and not the first time.
    When its an actual problem, the best we can do is try and help or lead the owner in the right direction.

So, always keep an open mind when there is negative post from an owner.
    Thats what being part of the BCB family is all about.

To the OP, hopefully your issue gets corrected and you decide to stay with BCB. IMO its he best boat company, and for many different reasons.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I want to remind my fellow BCB owners, before we jump on the OP, (or anyone else) do a search of their thread posts.
    Very quickly I could see the OP had a new model Pantera Classic. He was not a troll.

It could be a dealer issue, parts supplier, and many times either a misunderstanding or fault of the boat owner. (without the owner realizing it)

From Ricks post, the company is very busy with new names and faces coming aboard. I have met a few of them and I can say the companies future is in good hands. BCB's culture will remain along with their goal to remain best in customer service.
    They are trying to accomplish this during a pandemic and a demand for boats not seen in decades.

Not all dealer are equal in Service or experience. This can have an impact on an owners opinion of BCB when problems arise.

I have seen a few owners (get on here or the Owners Board) vent and blow steam about BCB, and once the issue actually surfaced, it was the owners fault, and not the first time.
    When its an actual problem, the best we can do is try and help or lead the owner in the right direction.

To the OP, hopefully your issue gets corrected and you decide to stay with BCB. IMO its he best boat company, and for many different reasons.

Don
    Great post

9. Member
    To update the situation. Rick called and talked to me this afternoon. I greatly appreciate him taking the time to do that. After our conversation we are on the same page now and it's clear how we ended up here. There seems to be no hard feelings either way. I did apologize for my post as well. Rick was very understanding of the situation and had done his diligence before talking to me.

10. Member
    To update the situation. Rick called and talked to me this afternoon. I greatly appreciate him taking the time to do that. After our conversation we are on the same page now and it's clear how we ended up here. There seems to be no hard feelings either way. I did apologize for my post as well. Rick was very understanding of the situation and had done his diligence before talking to me.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

11. Member
    what other boat company will reply here and in public??? NONE!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

My only issue with OP is he came on a public forum with a vague complaint. A general BCB is not doing whatever it is supposed to. More detail into what the actual issue with his rig might have been helpful to others as well as maybe the "family" on here might've been able to suggest a solution. So it did appear to be a troll. I am happy it is a genuine issue and Rick is responding best he can.

14. Member
    Great to hear. That is why we all love dealing with such an awesome company.
    Brad Krone

A very sound minded post. Because we choose to be internet active many of our owners are as well and they are also passionate. This places us where we get a lot of posting styles that other manufacturers do not receive.

We knew that when we got first engaged in the 1990’s and had that conversation with the facilitator of the first Owners Board early on.

Many of you love the brand and product as much as anyone. When we slip and fall, you become even more frustrated.

Unfortunately in today’s era many products and dealerships are between us that help, or harm your consumer experience. Those items like motors, graphs, jackplates, poles, we only install. The “boat” takes the brunt of impact on issues with products because you own a “boat”.

We accept this one as the user was familiar to BCB. In this case he has multiple items in question, and some just needed explanation, while many are vendor sources beyond our control. Still the frustration lies with his “boat” and often items we are not in the end responsible for, though they funnel through us to the market.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post

Don

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Items like this come up and people have since the Correct Craft indicated things have changed. However, most of the same people are here and more newer ones added. Just last week we spent time on the consumer experience being the difference in any product.

Inside we have Richard in Service, and he’s been there many years, Allan continues in Parts, Stuart is the Production Manager, Dorry is still in Clothing, Daylon has been added to oversee Pts, Serv. & Warr and Clothing. Jackson replaced Jason as Sales Director, as who now has the SE territory of Arkansas straight east. Nathan was added last month as Operations Director, and he was a Bass Cat owner many years in California. Evan is over Purchasing and literally grew up with Dad in his Bass Cat, just as Jackson has his families Pantera Classic. The last three are all in their 20’s as we rebuild. Cody came in 6 years ago and is VP of Finance and Admin. Heather in HR fished every trip in their Puma FTD before her role at HR Director. Others under those people

Ivan did retire in his 70’s and it won’t be long until Allan will retire and slide into a part time role in parts. He still feels like all of you are his, “my people” as he’s forged relationships and expectations over the last decade.

The Sales Managers chair and a Media chair are still open and we are actively pursuing people to fill those roles.

All of that is still under my authority, as it has been for decades.

Quite honestly some things have changed, though not really what folks feel has. For us expectations have changed. As our base grows, people also have improved the amount of direct support and service they expect from us. We have seen those expectations change. Often because they lack dealers service centers beyond the outboard engine. Thankfully all of this is changing today and technical service centers are springing up that will manage electronics, trollers, carpeting and more.

We simply can not provide service to all of the tens of thousands of boats we have built, that’s simply an unrealistic expectation. We try to do things here that dealerships can not. However we also see people wanting things done which we simply don’t have the staff and facilities to perform. Which is why we have dealerships. Quite honestly, Dropping a boat off to have a seat mounted, a worn tire swapped, a lid seal replaced or many items we see on a regular basis we are simply limited on ability due to the sheer volume.

Then we have the ‘favor’ items that “while it’s here”, swap my trolling motor out, replace my graph, add this widget. We don’t build these items and they are not ours to install. To some they forget we are not an aftermarket dealership, we build boats. Often times our staff knows how to install a trolling motor on a 2021 model, however they may not know the wiring, charger or items on a 1995 model. Many of these people were not born when your boat was built.

GelCoat work is another tedious one where we only have a few trained staffers, and we simply do not have the staff or the room. Shucks we know everyone is overloaded with quality people today, and we are no different. We have limitations and we try to manage those daily. We have added two new young staffers into repair training, even then they won’t be up to speed quick, and when they are we won’t be able to do every scratch in your Gelcoat.

Have things changed, quite possibly they have, though it’s not staff and it’s not a lack of intent here. Every day we try to keep outperforming our competitors on taking care of the Bass Cat and Yar-Craft family.

Thank you,

Rick
    BASSCAT is one hell of a company I don't own one YET but every time ive called from out west they have always been very patient and concerned of my needs from parts to technical questions an I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Rick at the Conroe classic 2017 Allen has helped me several times it parts and ivan has had many phone conversations with me over the years great people and a great company.

17. Moderator
    I don't think it's fair to judge any company over the "past year". I'm a Ranger owner and also a huge G. Loomis guy. I've had issues with both over the last year and hadn't ever had an issue prior. It's a pandemic. Everyone and everything is out of whack. BCB has been great to me with all my questions.....They will be my next rig...

18. Member
    I predict he will go with another company and then be back in a Bass Cat. Good luck on your next endeavor and we will always welcome family back.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    I don't think it's fair to judge any company over the "past year". I'm a Ranger owner and also a huge G. Loomis guy. I've had issues with both over the last year and hadn't ever had an issue prior. It's a pandemic. Everyone and everything is out of whack. BCB has been great to me with all my questions.....They will be my next rig...
    100%

20. Member
    How many other spots on BCB do you know of where the president of the company addresses issues like this directly and honestly? I haven't seen any. This is not at all uncommon for Rick and it speaks volumes to the traditions of the company that live on. I may not have many posts but have lurked for a long time and am a former BCB owner (no boat now). When I get into another boat it will be a Bass Cat again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast