Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario

Ranger RT188 swim/boarding ladder

My wife is asking me to get a swim ladder mounted on the boat for this summer. At age 64 she's starting to find it a bit difficult to lift herself into the boat after swimming. I suggested that she work out more but the she noted that I couldn't possibly get my butt into the boat if I fell into the lake. Since my RT188 is a 2014 model, a factory ladder was not offered. So, do I go back to a dealer for a ladder installation or has anyone had success mounting a factory ladder themselves or have success with an aftermarket ladder? I've read some of the prior threads on this topic and thought it would be worth starting a new thread in the event any new products are available. Thanks for any input.

I installed the Factory ladder. I looked at the engine mounted aftermarket ladders and tried one for awhile but was not happy with it. I spent quite a lot of time researching two step stainless ladders but found a Ranger ladder that had been ordered by mistake and discounted.
    I fretted a lot about using sheet metal screws to attach it but once mounted, I was ok with it.
    I added the hand hold in the splash well because I could not find a good hand hold the first time I used the ladder.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

I followed Bill's advice...Spot on. I got my ladder from Metalogic (Sponsor here). Install the Grab Handle too. (Then 4 months later I took a Polar Plunge and was glad I installed the ladder and grab handle!)

I did not install the rubber gaskets that came with the ladder. I used JB Weld in addition to the screws for extra holding and sealant.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

That hand hold is a great idea! So your ladder is mounted with screws as opposed to bolts that go through the transom?

I see now that both of you used the sheet metal screws to mount the ladder. 8 screws should hold a decent amount of weight.

That is why I did not use the rubber gaskets. As there could be compression on the bottom mounts, while stress incurred on the top pads, (creating a torque) when climbing aboard.
    Make sure your pilot holes are as small as possible and still allow the screws to self tap without breaking the head of the screws off when installing. I was going to use Riv-nuts, but went and used SS Sheet Metal Screws. (I went with SS as I fish Salt Water and got a ladder made from 316 SS.)
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

7. Member
    I have the factory optional "fat guy ladder" pictured above. The grab handle is a fine idea. I can reach the rear seat post from my ladder so I normally use that. Mine is used quite a bit in the summer, not bashful about jumping in and cooling off.

I have an All Aboard ladder. It does fine in an emergency BUT... if I was going to use it on a regular basis I would get a ladder like Bill has. I got the All Aboard ladder used and it was a good deal. Also at the time, the boat was sorta new and I did not want to drill holes in it. The All Aboard connects to the motor mount bolts. I liked that if I traded boats, I could take it with me too... It does fine as a life saving emergency ladder.

I swim in the lake off my dock or swim in a pool.... I can positively say this... If I swim while I am fishing - I FELL IN. I do not swim from my boat on purpose. Although I did jump in once to check my auto inflatable life jacket.

If I am by myself, I keep a short stout rope looped around the rear post to help me get in. It works. But I ordered a grab handle from Amazon today.
    Last edited by Panama; 04-26-2021 at 09:25 PM.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

9. Member
    I have the All Aboard ladder which isn't nearly as nice as the fat guy ladder but I would only need it in an emergency. I did just order the grab handle which is a good idea.

10. Member
    I have the All Aboard ladder which isn't nearly as nice as the fat guy ladder but I would only need it in an emergency. I did just order the grab handle which is a good idea.