Thread: Hitch sticking

Hitch sticking

New 921 Elite, and the trailer pops right on the hitch. However, when I remove the trailer, sometimes it doesn’t want to come off. Eventually it does....is this just because the trailer is new and tight? Or have any of y’all had similar issues?

2. Member
    The hitch socket doesn't want to come up off the ball? Is the ball greased?
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    I have a Reese locking ball and I had to grind a couple of the edges to allow the coupler to latch. I would think if it did latch it might not unlatch. I expected the ball to be hardened but it was soft as butter. Ground the edges off with a file.

4. Member
    One thing I found is after backing up, to pull forward like an inch to get the sliding part for the brake to come forward and it pops right off.

Sometimes when it slides back a bit the latch doesn't open all the way so it makes it tricky to come off
    Fish have fins, they swim

Agree. Not a big deal. After jacking up just put in gear.and it will pop off. Just chuck the wheels 1st. I didn't once and the trailer started rolling away on me. I had to jump out of my truck and stop it by grabbing the tongue and praying.

6. Member
    Thanks, I will grease the ball and remember to pull up after backing in.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    One thing I found is after backing up, to pull forward like an inch to get the sliding part for the brake to come forward and it pops right off.

Sometimes when it slides back a bit the latch doesn't open all the way so it makes it tricky to come off
    This is what I do as well. Once I'm backed up, I just put the truck into Drive for a second before shifting to Park, and that releases the pressure going backwards to the coupler. Slides right off if I do it this way.

Mine was doing this also. It worked fine brand new, but after about a year it got to where I'd have to jump on my bumper to get the ball to pop back out of the coupler. Pulling forward and greasing had little positive effects. So, my problem was related to corrosion inside the coupler. I had a master cylinder leak on the trailer and apparently I was leaving my boat with my trailer angled downhill toward the bow. In turn, the corrosive brake fluid worked it's way to the coupler portion and corroded it pretty good. Once I replaced my whole coupler, it's smooth as silk now when I decouple the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    New 921 Elite, and the trailer pops right on the hitch. However, when I remove the trailer, sometimes it doesn’t want to come off. Eventually it does....is this just because the trailer is new and tight? Or have any of y’all had similar issues?

If the trailer jack has raised the coupler high enough but doesn't release, climb on the bumper to put weight on the back of the truck to lower the hitch ball.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

A tandem trailer, if not backed in straight, will put side torque in the ball not allowing it to release easily.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

11. Member
    Put some triflow and it helped. Good point CHE, I will remember that too. Thanks!