Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Boat is Totaled: Update Thread Lessons learned.

Wanted to start a new thread from when I posted about my boat getting totaled two weeks ago. The process has been very humbling and have learned a lot about how the insurance valued the boat. My intent of this post is to speak to my experience and lessons learned. Understand we all use different companies and they all do things a little differently. I’m gonna try to keep this short but even in short gonna be long. Read if you want to learn what may help you if something like this ever happens.

At this point the insurance adjuster and I have agreed on a loss figure amount on all aspects on my claim and it is getting final approvals. At first I felt like the adjuster was going to try to lowball stuff from initial conversations. They never did but fought to get valuations up. Know what you had and keep documentation it only helps.

First lesson learned know your policy and have a good agent. I had 20k endorsement on my policy for fishing equipment and personal effects. This covers my poles, TM, upgraded equipment not on the boat from factory, rods, tackle etc. The adjuster said I only had 2k in coverages. Long story short during a agency transfer from moving states in 2020 they accidentally dropped a zero on the coverage. Thought I was gonna be screwed. Went and talked to agent he found the mistake and did a referendum to the policy. Agent said it must of been a computer error when he transferred it. The next item is my insurance company valued the trailer as “watercraft equipment”. I had just the generic coverage for this item as everything was put to fishing equipment and personal effects. My agent told the adjuster to figure how much was needed where for every aspect of items lost and he the. Moved the dollars around from my 20k endorsement so each coverage type had enough dollars on it to cover the items that fell to it.
    It pays to have good insurance and agent in a case like this.

Now to the boat and motor coverage. It was insured for market value. The insurance company used a third party to find purchases of same model boat in the previous month. They found 2 comps. They the. Deducted trailer and accessories to get it to just boat and motor. This value came in really low. When adjuster and I spoke he agreed. The comp boats had 400 plus hours and mine had 180. Comp company could not take that into consideration because they had no hours record of this boats and had to assume all was average. They also had to assume the comp boats had standard factory options with no factory upgrades.

the adjuster and I had put together a list of all factory upgrades I had on the boat and what they cost. After all these were added in he made the comp company up the condition to the to the next level above the comps after comparing photos of the comps and my rig prior to accedient. This raised the valuation of my boat and motor by 8k which got it to a fair value the adjuster and I agreed on.

The final part of this was my fishing equipment. We scoured the internet for used poles with no luck. Poles were six years old but agreed to pay out new pricing minus small % of depreciation since I had records of pumps getting rebuilt and replacement and maintain regular of bushings etc. he agreed they were maintained in a like new state.

Electronics, I had 2 carbon 12’s with 3D structure scan. On this item is where I built some trust with the adjuster and showed him I was trying to get back whatI had and not just take the claim for all it was worth. I showed him some used prices I found on carbon 12’s and refurbished prices from lowrance as well as the new pricing for 12 lives. He paid out the refurbished pricing on each graph minus small amount of depreciation.

Build trust with your adjuster and show them your trying to be reasonable and not just take. Know your agent and know how and where every item on your rig is being covered including the trailer. Know the cost and all the factory upgrades equipment above standard options on your rig. The last thing to know is be patient. It has been a process. I hope some of you find this info valuable and that’s why I’m sharing. Hopefully I will be back on the water with you all soon.

Good info!!

4. Member
    I learned alot from your post and will be talking to my agent this week. Sorry you had to go through what you did for me to learn though. What's next for you?
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Glad you got through this ordeal. Yes, keeping good records and photos, goes a long way! Also, reviewing the insurance policy when it comes due.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

6. Member
    Excellent post. Good information and sure to be helpful to the BBC crowd. Thanks for posting.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I learned alot from your post and will be talking to my agent this week. Sorry you had to go through what you did for me to learn though. What's next for you?
    Hopefully ordering a new rig in a few weeks. Based on build times might go boat less and order in December and save my payment money I was spending for more down. I will say it was impressive the way the hull held up. Not a crack in the transom, splashwell. Or bottom of the hull. If I was still in Kansas I know a guy that could separate the cap and hull and make good as new. I just wish I could get a new rig for the pricing they were at in 15. Crazy how much they have gone up.

8. Member
    It's ashame one has to be so versed on what a policy covers and does not cover. You would think the so called experts that sell the policies would know more about what they are selling you and what you need to make sure you are covered the way to think you are. Good info.

9. Member
    Thanks for the update....and sorry about your loss!! I have an agreed value policy but after reading your lessons I plan to reconsider the amount of fishing equipment coverage I carry.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

10. Banned
    I've had 3 boats totaled, (2 wrecks on road, one garage fire)and what you went through is common. I had Allstate for all 3, and after some haggling back & forth, they handled it well.

11. Member
    Enlightening!

Thanks for the post.

12. Member
    Very informative and makes me think it's time to review mine just to make sure. Thanks for sharing your experience.

13. Member
    Great post for a new boat owner like myself. I called Bob (regularly mentioned on this forum) and I feel safe knowing he/his company comes highly recommended. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you’re out on the water again soon!

14. TJNYSNP
    Thanks for the sharing of the info. What caused your boat trailer to jump and the boat to flip off while driving ? That is what i want to really learn about if you could share please what the cause for that was so we can avoid that if we can.

15. Member
    Shows character to try and make something positive/educational out of a bad experience.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    Thanks for the sharing of the info. What caused your boat trailer to jump and the boat to flip off while driving ? That is what i want to really learn about if you could share please what the cause for that was so we can avoid that if we can.
    Trailer started to hydroplane. Was unable to speed up but had to continue on brakes due to stopping construction traffic. Tried to swerve the truck to correct which made trailer start to walk. Not sure how but trailer came off receiver, broke the safety straps, and went across a o ramp hitting a concrete wall. Still don’t know how trailer came off the ball, other than extreme forces.

17. Member
    good info, thanks for taking the time to write it all up
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

18. Member
    I appreciate you sharing this information with us. A few things to think about now...
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

19. Member
    Good info..

20. Member
    What company was your boat insured with?
    2020 Caymas CX20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast