Thread: Thread size ?

Thread size ?

What size/ # of thread do u guys use to wrap guides?
    Thanks

Depends on the size of rod. For bass size, I prefer B. A is a bit tedious and my old eyes aren’t so good anymore.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

3. Goby King
    A or B for bass rods. D for musky/salt rods.

4. Member
    where do you find B

5. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by harrys View Post
    where do you find B
    Old stock Gudebrod I have. Mudhole has some Prowrap colors in B also.

6. Member
    Hitena US has B thread. G Loomis used B thread on their rods when they were US owned.

One interesting thing about thread sizes: I think it's commonly accepted that heavier powered rods and/or rods that take a lot of abuse should use bigger thread, and I suppose the reasoning is strength. That said, given that you get a LOT more wraps with size A thread and you're coating it epoxy anyhow, I'd bet a bundle that size A is actually the strongest option. I feel like I might've seen a comparison somewhere that confirmed that, but I can't remember where. It doesn't really matter for building bass rods anyhow, they don't take nearly the abuse that rods in other applications might take, just something I've spent way too much time considering like I do most things.

Spoonplugger's recommendation is spot on: Hitena's thread is really, really good, and they have all kinds of different sizes. They claim that it stretches which I thought might be BS and didn't really think it would matter if it did, though after using it I can confirm that it does stretch quite a lot, and that it's way more useful than I ever thought it would be. Cutting off the tag and avoiding "fuzzies" is one example...If you pull on it firmly and cut it close, it springs back and the fuzz disappears after you cut it. Just note that their threads are a little smaller than other brands for the same size rating. Their A is smaller than others' A, but their B is still larger than others' A (except ProWrap ColorFast), and I feel like it is perfect for bass rod applications. Here's a chart they provide that compares (the first "F" is Fuji, "M" is Mudhole/Pro Wrap, "P" is PacBay, and the second F may be FishHawk?) :

ProWrap also makes a nylon size B, it's actually a bit smaller in diameter than their ColorFast A which you can see in the chart and which I've also confirmed by comparing them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    For bass rods, I usually use A or B. However, if I am doing a long butt wrap, if I have the same color in D, I will do the butt wrap in D - just saves time.

I use A because years ago when I started building some my squaw bought me quite a large assortment.