Thread: Battery Issue

Battery Issue

Question for the battery experts on here.

Recently installed a MEGA360 on my boat and all of a sudden Im having battery issues like crazy. Hard to get in a full days fishing without the cranking battery having to be jumped. I've talked to a fishing buddy who had the same issue when he installed his Livescope and he's installed a 12V Lithium specifically for the Livescope and is running everything else off the cranking battery like normal.

Ideas, thoughts or suggestions? I've got 3 big tournaments coming up this month for my high school team and we nearly had a disastrous situation bite us in the back side with a bag of fish that qualified them for the State Championship and the cranking battery dead in the water. Luckily, I carry a set of cables on the boat and was able to get a jump to refire the system.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

James

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Well, you never mentioned what battery, size and motor you have.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Battery is a 900cca. Mercury 250 Pro XS.

Guess I should've put that in there. LOL! I been up since 4 this morning. Brain is tired. LOL

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok, but what size battery? Group 27, AGM 31, brand???

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Without the battery info, i'm gonna suspect that the battery is not big enough to handle everything plus the motor.....you would need to jump up to one of the large AGM31 batteries and if you are not using a unit on the console, maybe put that in standby or turn off to help conserve.

Here is a list of AGM batteries that are to be used with your Merc 250.

6. Member
    As others have said you need a 31AGM battery and also make sure that your M360 is wired to a switch otherwise it will be drawing power all the time.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

7. Member
    Here is the tag from the battery. Sorry, I couldnt get it last night.

HD31DC
    985CA
    800CCA

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'm going on a limb and say the battery is the issue......need to move up to one of the larger 31's thats on the list i posted above...

9. Member
    Took the battery and had it tested and it passed fine. Im going to move the 360 system over to a Lithium battery which should rectify the problem of the heavy drain on the big battery.

Thanks for the info.

James

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    What is the reserve capacity of your current battery?

What size AWG wire is the Mega 360 wired with?
    Last edited by JR19; 04-26-2021 at 01:08 AM.

11. Member
    I replaced my Interstate 31 with the X2 due to my 2 12 Lives. The 12 lives would gradually go dark do to the amp draws..along with the livewells..ect. I would get a low amp pop up on the counsel 12 when starting the Merc 250. The X2 did perform better, but at the end of the tournament, would go dark. The X2 would recover after running bit was irritating to say the least. My guy here suggested two options: 1. replace the 10 gage wires with 8 gage. From experience, he feels this will correct the problem. 2. install a dedicated battery (lithium) to run the electronics independently. I'll let you know which option worked..hopefully the 1st.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritontom View Post
    I replaced my Interstate 31 with the X2 due to my 2 12 Lives. The 12 lives would gradually go dark do to the amp draws..along with the livewells..ect. I would get a low amp pop up on the counsel 12 when starting the Merc 250. The X2 did perform better, but at the end of the tournament, would go dark. The X2 would recover after running bit was irritating to say the least. My guy here suggested two options: 1. replace the 10 gage wires with 8 gage. From experience, he feels this will correct the problem. 2. install a dedicated battery (lithium) to run the electronics independently. I'll let you know which option worked..hopefully the 1st.
    That X2 is a beast of a battery. Its at the top of the food chain in a marine group 31 AGM and yet what you say is a perfect example of how a big new battery will mask voltage issues caused buy inadequate wiring and sharing power with other devices for a few hours. My "opinion" is correct AWG wire size and not sharing power with other devices is best case scenario for max performance but a person must also have a battery with enough reserve run time (200 or more minutes reserve capacity) to power multiple devices and still be able to crank the motor. Hence the reason I ask two simple questions in reply # 10
    Last edited by JR19; 04-26-2021 at 09:05 PM.

13. Member
    The battery is an 800CCA & 985CA. Not sure about the reserve as theres nothing on the battery. Im not sure the size wire used from the main battery to the front for the units as this was done prior to me getting the boat. My issues didnt start until I added the new Helix & Mega360, thus, I going to install a dedicated Lithium cell just for that unit. I imagine my problem will be taken care of moving forward. I have a tournament this weekend where I will be able to test things and find out for sure.

Ill report and let you know what I find out.

James

14. Member
    Did you run new wires for the bird and 360 to the battery? Did you wire a on/off switch to the 360 power wire? If not, that’s problem 1 and 2.
    your battery barely has enough starting power CCA in the first place.

15. Member
    UPDATE

I installed a 12V 18aH Lithium dedicated to the Helix & 360MEGA and it runs like a champ. The units ran for 10 hours constant on and was still showing 12.5v. Cranking battery is now back up to 14V when the big engine is running and hasnt dropped below 11.6 throughout the day with everything else running like normal. Install was pretty simple and takes care of the worry of losing the power to crank the big motor late in the day with a bag of fish in the well.

16. Member
    Definately use a dedicated battery with mega or 360... they such up a ton of amps and will leave you stranded,,,,a lot of guys use those 20 amp dewalt reflex batteries

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Without the battery info, i'm gonna suspect that the battery is not big enough to handle everything plus the motor.....you would need to jump up to one of the large AGM31 batteries and if you are not using a unit on the console, maybe put that in standby or turn off to help conserve.

Here is a list of AGM batteries that are to be used with your Merc 250.
    Is it just me or is this list missing?
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90