1994 Mariner 60HP 2-stroke starter question

Out on the water today my 1994 Mariner 60HP 2-stroke starter on two different occasions would spin at what sounded like its normal speed but would not rise up to meet/engage the flywheel and start the motor. I removed the flywheel cover, put a screwdriver under the starter gear and wound it up until it meshed with the flywheel gear, removed the screwdriver then turned the key and it started fine. Motor started fine after that several times then did it again. Repeat scenario. Started and ran fine before and after these two instances. When I got home I checked the starter battery voltage and it showed 12.7 volts. What/how should I test or replace (if I've given you enough info). Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    sometimes just volt test is not enough ,how old is batt ????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    It isn't young. Probably 4 years. Everstart (funny!) size 24. Guess it's time to replace it?

4. Member
    would deff start there stay above 850mmca if ya can
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Thanks

6. Member