Update on which loctite to use on vault bearing cover caps

I just received my Vault bearing cover caps from Eastern marine trailer and installed one today. I used the Permatex High temp Red RTV on the new cap. The old cap came off very easy with no signs of any sealant like they recommend putting on the new ones. This new cap went on so tight I’m not sure if the Permatex was needed, but for safety I used it anyway. The old cap just said vault on it and the new ones say Dexter/vault. Has anyone replaced a cap and think they went on extremely tight? Thanks

2. Member
    I had one that was a real pain to get on. It was slightly out of round. It wasn't long after installation it began a slight leak. Knocked that one off and replaced it, the replacement went on easily...and no leaks. Both were sealed with the red Loctite that they sell...I don't know the #.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    I had one that was a real pain to get on. It was slightly out of round. It wasn't long after installation it began a slight leak. Knocked that one off and replaced it, the replacement went on easily...and no leaks. Both were sealed with the red Loctite that they sell...I don't know the #.
    I read that someone got a new cap and it measured 1.985 instead of the 1.980. I’m going to get a caliper and measure the other new one I have and see what it is. Can there be an issue of forcing one in that measures 1.985 when it’s suppose to be 1.980?

4. Member
    Yes...there could be issues. Likely, mine was oversized, I checked after removal, and it was out of round. It was probably round to start. That cap leaked.