AVX 1880 and tackle storage

Im still trying to settle into how i want to use the storage space in the boat. My last boat had rod storage down the side and tackle storage in the middle. With the AVX the rods take up the middle box which leaves tackle storage down the side which can be a PITA when the deck is covered in rods.

So I put my tackle trays in the rear storage compartments. This worked decently well. 3700 dont fit so well. I still wanted my tackle storage up front. Im stuborn like that. 3700 boxes didn’t fit worth a darn in those compartments up front. They work fine for life jackets etc.

This forced me to concede to fewer rods on deck placed on the passenger side. Now i can have easy access to the storage area in front of the helm. Took me awhile to figure out how to stack 3700 trays in that compartment.

Here’s the result.

FD918267-FBF8-4009-A79B-CC090B15D02D.jpeg
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I have my boxes on the passenger side. I have a plastic ammo can with tools stored under the deck in the same compartment. This keeps the boxes in place. I can store two boxes on the side of my other boxes that I have stacked the same as you. I keep my terminal tackle and drop shot baits there. I like sitting on that area behind the box to go through tackle and tie stuff on. This works for me. I only keep one or two spinning rods above my tackle. I tried the rear compartments and did not like that all.

I have all my hard baits and a some plastics in that same compartment too. I have 3700 boxes rotated 90 deg from how you have yours oriented at the top of the compartment. I have two long bins that contain jig trailers and plastic worms in the back of that compartment. In between the 3700s and the bins, I have a few smaller containers that keep everything from sliding. I use the port storage for life jackets and rain gear. The rear port storage has the the rest of my plastics. The rear starboard storage has some tools, anchor, dock lines and bumpers.

I absolutely hate the middle rod locker and wish it was on either side. I still store rods on both side of the deck and have to shuffle rods around to get access. That is probably the only thing I dislike about the 1880.

4. Member
    I have tackle in the left side, front and rear. The right side in the front I have life jacket and rain suits. Right rear is my cooler. I put my 3 rods I keep out on the right side. I hate having too many rods out. I used to keep all my tackle in the left front. But I am experimenting with moving some weight rearward.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

“I absolutely hate the middle rod locker and wish it was on either side. I still store rods on both side of the deck and have to shuffle rods around to get access. That is probably the only thing I dislike about the 1880.”

Amen!

The front area of those storage areas are almost useless as its under the deck. I would like to see that area made into a day box on one side and a small cooler on the other if left in the current configuration.
    Rod storage down the port side would be the best option with tackle in the middle. Storage and daybox/cooler infront of the drivers console.

Last edited by ifishinxs; 04-25-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    I'm with you on the rod storage Bob. Here are pictures of how I have tackle in the port compartment, I also have a few 3600/3700 and clamshell packs underneath rods in center storage.IMG_6240.JPGIMG_6241.JPG
    2021 Vexus AVX 1880 Summit White
    115 Mercury ProXS
    Ultrex
    Twin HBirds
    Garmin 93
    Garmin Livescope