Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    I just showed you a picture. Look for ones that include the trim switch. Or add a separate switch to the handle. You can find a version at THmarine.com

2. Member
    OK thank you. i was kind of hoping to just fix it, as i think replacing it might be more of a PITA, but will see after i get the screw stripped out.

3. Member
    Is there any way i can get a few 3d renders of the parts for the control box? Might consider just getting them 3d printed instead of trying to find these small, exotic parts that may or may not be compatible.

4. Member
    Nope. These parts have not been in stock nor manufactured for over 40 years. 3D rendering did not even exist when these parts were invented. You are on your own.

5. Member
    Darn, might be something i should invest in... a 3d scanner for future use, as the old parts will only be harder and harder to find.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    Nope. These parts have not been in stock nor manufactured for over 40 years. 3D rendering did not even exist when these parts were invented. You are on your own.
    Any ideas on how to get the old one off? there are two bolts that seem embedded into the old control box. I have decided to just replace it with a new one

7. Member
    Hold the back side of the bolt/nut with vice grips. Drill off the top of the screw head.

8. Member
    Can't see or reach to get back there.... and the bolt head is locked into the control

9. Member
    Only you can give yourself mechanical experience. Figure it out. What can be installed, can be removed. This keyboard can do no more. Good luck.

10. Member
    Ha, thanks, i will work on drilling the heck out of it....

11. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    Only you can give yourself mechanical experience. Figure it out. What can be installed, can be removed. This keyboard can do no more. Good luck.
    Very eloquently said,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

12. Member
    So... is it even possible to replace the old controls or do i need to try to dig around and try REALLY hard to not break stuff? I was talking with marineengine.com and they had said that the wiring for that particular motor is tricky and likely impossible to find a wiring harness and throttle/shifter cable that would work with a new control box... is that true or are they just trying to sell parts?

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    They no speak with fork tongue.

14. Member
    Daviddiyeverything. Go back to my post #37.

15. Member
    Mechanical experience isn't the same as spending $500+ on control unit and wire harness, if the throttle/drive cable doesn't work at all.

16. Member
    Sir, your comments serve no value to the help being provided. New control cables are available from several different sources. This topic gotten to be downright tedious with no substantive results from suggestion offered and only more questions from you. Suggest you just git-to-gitten on figuring out what is broken and fix this 40 year old critter. I am done. Good luck and have fun.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sure you don't want to be a mod? Welcome to our world.

18. Member
    New control cables won't work with the motor. I have confirmed it with new cables and new control box. There is no amount of jerry rigging i can do to make the new control box work with the old control cables.

The reason I am here was to ask questions, I apologize of that offends you.
    I have been trying to work on the boat as much as I can. If you don't like helping, why do you respond? I have already wasted $800 because I have purchased parts that can't be returned.

I have asked additional clarifying questions, to which haven't gotten a response other than you telling me not to ask questions.
    Last edited by DavidDiyEverything; 05-13-2021 at 08:38 PM.

19. Member
    [QUOTE=DavidDiyEverything;11876913]New control cables won't work with the motor. I have confirmed it with new cables and new control box. There is no amount of jerry rigging i can do to make the new control box work with the old control cables.

I have been trying to work on the boat as much as I can. If you don't like helping, why do you respond? I have already wasted $800 because I have purchased parts that can't be returned.

I have asked additional clarifying questions, to which haven't gotten a response other than you telling me not to ask questions.[/QU

This is what makes helping so worth while.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 05-13-2021 at 10:32 PM.

20. Member
    [QUOTE=316jughead;11877091]
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDiyEverything View Post
    New control cables won't work with the motor. I have confirmed it with new cables and new control box. There is no amount of jerry rigging i can do to make the new control box work with the old control cables.

I have asked additional clarifying questions, to which haven't gotten a response other than you telling me not to ask questions.[/QU

This is what makes helping so worth while.
    All the help you have provided was immense and gratifying

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast