Thread: Bent Skeg

Bent Skeg

Mid 90's 75 Merc with a slight bend in the skeg. Best way to straighten it? Do I need to heat it? Ty

2. Member
    my man that does mine has a very large piece of perfectly flat steel very thick he lays skeg flat on surface while holdingh gearcase and uses leather hammer sparringly hes very good, no heat
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This being a smaller engine that's not traveling at high speeds (at least more than likely), see if one of the local PROP guys would be willing to do this for you. Often very inexpensive, and they have plenty of experience in manipulating this type of material without breakage.

Just a suggestion, of course.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

For slight bends, I have used blocks of wood and a C clamp. You need to bend the skeg past straight or it will go right back to the original position. the key is not to get too aggressive. Bend it slowly and a little as a time.