Question about props

If I had a prop that was good out of the hole but would only turn 5400 (max 5750), what benefit would it be to drop down in order to gain rpm’s? I’m trying to decide if it’s worth dropping in order to get closer to 5750.
    For example; If hole shot on prop Y were sufficient, would X prop at 5700 be of any benefit over Y prop at 5400 in speed?

Thanks
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

Generally. Going down one pitch in the same prop is about 200 rpm, and a lower pitch prop should holeshot better. And running peak rpms can get your speed back on the top end and free up the motor
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    If you are happy with your hole shot I don’t think there is much to gain with same type of prop. You don’t say which engine you have but your probably in the factory rpm range. You could try different props and may gain a little performance but might not. Second a new prop isn’t cheap. For me it would have to be night or day better. I’ve run my last 2 rigs at 52k or 53 k rpms with no problems. My 200 ox 66 says 5 to 55k max so I’m a little under. Not all engines make more power at higher rpms. Saw the torque curve on my old xr6 and 5300 was peak. Now if you could see a dyno chart for your engine that would really help

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    If you are happy with your hole shot I don’t think there is much to gain with same type of prop. You don’t say which engine you have but your probably in the factory rpm range. You could try different props and may gain a little performance but might not. Second a new prop isn’t cheap. For me it would have to be night or day better. I’ve run my last 2 rigs at 52k or 53 k rpms with no problems. My 200 ox 66 says 5 to 55k max so I’m a little under. Not all engines make more power at higher rpms. Saw the torque curve on my old xr6 and 5300 was peak. Now if you could see a dyno chart for your engine that would really help
    200 Pro XS.
    Running a 25 Tempest but before I sold my
    last boat I ran the 25 Trophy that was on it. Now it was B&B but it ran 3 mph faster than my current prop. Also at <5400 rpms. That seems odd to me but maybe not.
    The tempest could use some cleaning up but it’s not bad. I figured I would have it B&B also. But wasn’t sure if I should request dropping it to a 24 or not.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

I do not recommend working prop down, Far better to get one a pitch size to small and work it up.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Every boat and engine I owned ran different props. I had access to try many a choice most don’t have. What I noticed was max performance wasn’t night to day different. Some a little better hole shot others a few mph. Me personally as long as I was on the higher end of the factory specs and satisfied I didn’t worry about rpms. I don’t like to scream my engines just make them run the best I can. Remember set it with a heavy load. When it’s cold you can always cut back. Down here I usually get a couple hundred more rpms in the winter

7. Member
    Every boat and engine I owned ran different props. I had access to try many a choice most don’t have. What I noticed was max performance wasn’t night to day different. Some a little better hole shot others a few mph. Me personally as long as I was on the higher end of the factory specs and satisfied I didn’t worry about rpms. I don’t like to scream my engines just make them run the best I can. Remember set it with a heavy load. When it’s cold you can always cut back. Down here I usually get a couple hundred more rpms in the winter
    I can live with not running 5750. It’s just the boat/engine seem pretty slow compared to others. Put it this way. I haven’t seen another like boat that runs slower. I am new to the rig though. Aside from a B&B I was just trying to figure out my next step. It surprises me the Trophy prop was 3 mph faster than a Tempest.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

8. Member
    Do you have a jack plate. If you can check with the other guys on what prop they have and ptp height. Try the bcb forum they could help

Let me add that I don't know much but analog tachometers can be off a few hundred rpm and you may want to confirm rpms another way if possible, and you would want to get to peak rpms so when you fill your livewells or gas tank or take a few friends and your inevitably slower your still getting up there in rpms like 5400 and the boat will still get up and perform
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a smartcraft gauge. The last time I ran WOT with a partner I got 61-62 mph. Which is pretty low for this ride. But holeshot is good with three people. And one mechanic and a dealership have said everything checks out.
    Let me run this theory by y’all and see if it sounds right. If my current prop were cleaned up and maybe balanced could that maybe aid in increasing rpms? I mean if the cleaned up prop can provide more lift that would reduce the wetted surface of the hull and would allow the engine to turn higher rpms. Having that Trophy run 3 mph faster than my Tempest just has me wondering if the tempest needs attention.
    Last edited by Judson1; 04-26-2021 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Added content
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

11. Member
    I have read on here that a trophy does run better on some rigs. Again every boat .prop is different. Two brand new ones could run different. Never said anything about ptp or plate

12. Member
    I have read on here that a trophy does run better on some rigs. Again every boat .prop is different. Two brand new ones could run different. Never said anything about ptp or plate
    Sorry I have a 6 or 8in slide master and my PTP is in
    line with most people with my rig. I’m at 3.25 below and have went as much as 4 below to as high as 2.75 below. I may try and grab a 24 trophy. And I agree with your statement. The 25 trophy I had wouldn’t run as well as my friends 25 trophy on my old boat. Thanks
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

I have never had a trophy that was as fast as tempest when they were setup correctly, I gave up on them years ago. Far better props out there today
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I have never had a trophy that was as fast as tempest when they were setup correctly, I gave up on them years ago. Far better props out there today

Thank you all. I actually found out last weekend I may not have been giving this boat enough trim fast enough. I saw 5510 at 68 on slick water which is by far my best numbers. I had read in here this model doesn’t like a lot of trim. So I was stingy with it previously. The Tempest could use some TLC. Maybe send it to Ronnie Gilbert for that and a balance/blueprint too.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest